The best steak I've ever had--new procedure and recipe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Reid Smith:
I remember reading the WSJ article. And your image of the USDA Prime stamp with a label showing $5.99/pound sure validates that you got some high quality meat at a great price, but I couldn't seem to seem "costco" on the label anywhere. Never been to a Costco - the nearest is 30 minutes away. I suspect Costco has an advantage in terms of bulk buying power. Have to give them a call and maybe make a road trip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Kirkland is Costco's brand. Sort of like Kenmore for Sears.
icon_smile.gif
I suggest getting thee to Costco, borrowing someone with a membership. Seriously, never been to one? Don't go, it's quite addicting, and their meats are always good quality and good prices. I would not hesitate to drive 30 mins to Costco. Of course I'm in California, we drive frigging everywhere.

Chuck makes an excellent point, for a 30 min drive, give them a call. I do that for them to put aside these whole sides for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Wallace:
Reid, the only confirmation I had was Costco's labeling of USDA Prime. I know the company pretty well from another viewpoint and they are about as straight in that regard as they come. Why would you suspect that a labeled claim is false, or am I misreading your concern? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't impugning Costco's integrity - in fact, I think that large companies like this are much more ethical than popular opinion might have it. I was thinking along the lines that around here I've seen, for example, Certified Angus being touted as "Premium" grade, which of course is meanignless.

I second that...I have always had a great selection of meats from Costco. I just might plan my next BBQ with a that perfect steak process.

Reid,

I consider true Certified Angus Beef a premium brand. For me, it falls pretty much between USDA Choice and USDA Prime in grading. Although I've had great USDA Choice meat from Costco that was as good as CAB.

That being said, around here you see "private label angus", "premium angus" etc. which are very different than CAB.

I am still trying to get my arms around private branding. This weekend I bought some "Rancher's Reserve" NY strips from Safeway for $2.99. The meat didn't look great, not much marbling, but I thought I'd try. Really not worth the savings--definitely in the "Select" category. Not much flavor, and some gristle.

I don't pay attention to private brands - the only thing important is USDA grade. Ihave learned that you get what you pay for. I recenyly bought a side of sirloin strips from Stew Leonards (local to Conneciticut and maybe New York) where I've had excellent meat buying experience before. The price was $3.99/#. I should have known better - it was tougher than leather. I threw it out. Previous buying experiences at Stews were more like $5 -$6/# and were pretty good.

Back