The Barbecue Baffle

Maybe Bruce Bissonnette (sp) will see your post and answer. He has one and has spoken highly of it. I'm "home alone" this weekend and decided to do a slab of spares on my Performer. I think I'm going to order the baffle.

Paul

I'm not Bruce, but I LOVE my BBQ Baffle. I am really the only BBQ eater in the house (wife isn't a big meat eater) and our son is only 3 (workin' on him), so I can't justifiy a dedicated WSM.

So, I bought the Baffle last year for the kettle (old Gold kettle). It works really well! I've done several racks of ribs and some butts. Not done a brisket yet. Got myself a Performer late last year, so I'm looking forward to trying out the Baffle on the new grill when the weather warms up. It's been barely above zero all day here by Chicago. BRRR!

It is quite easy to maintain 250F all day long with it, usually it requires the bottom vents be almost closed.

Only issue is that you have to feed the fire every hour or so. You can't (at least I haven't tried) to load it up Minion style and get a longer slow cook out of it without loading.

I don't run a water pan over the fire, but you can.

Chris

Well, Chris, we can see that your next experiment will be the Minion Method, right????

Inquiring minds need to know.
icon_wink.gif

Rita

I echo Chris's remarks. It is a great tool to help turn your kettle into a smoker.

I have done ribs and a pork butt on my kettle and have had no problem holding the temp in the 240-260 range.

I did, however, use a drip pan under the meat filled half-way with water then a smaller drip pan(like a small meat loaf pan) on top of the coals half filled with water, and the temps were very stable.

I did use the Minion Method also in firing up the kettle. You don't get as long a burn time in the kettle as you do the WSM but I would say mine went about 3-4 hours before I added more coals. GREAT PRODUCT!!

http://tinyurl.com/b8fk9 Ribs on Kettle

http://tinyurl.com/d9g7z Initial Set Up

Chris & Bruce,

Thanks for the recommendations, I just ordered a BBQ Baffle for myself. I really enjoy the ribs I cook on my kettle, I'm hoping this will make then even better. It also gives me an option for when I dont feel like using my WSM.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bruce - I am curious about how you adapt the Minion Method for the Baffle. For your 3-4 hour cook, how many unlit briquettes do you load in the baffle and how many lit coals do you put on top?

Jim

Jim,

I think in that initial set-up photo I had about 3/4 chimney of charcoal and I used about 8-10 lit coals.

IMO the secret is finding the correct amount of opening for your bottom vents to sustain that 225-240 temp, it's not much, maybe a 1/4 inch. AND, refraining from opening the lid unless absolutely necessary. Your wood chunks will flame and your temps will rise quickly when the lid is opened. They will go back down though once the lid is replaced.

After receiving my BBQ Baffle this week I sent an email to the company CEO thanking him for the prompt delivery and told him about this thread. In response, he told me that they had a recent surge in sales and were attributing it to some other advertising. He now gives credit to TVWBB. We get results.

Back