The actual color.

MarkCuda

TVWBB Pro
I'm going to get my Genesis Gold frame powdercoated, I always had them apply gloss black.
What is the actual color called ?1000006931.jpg

That is a good question. I am pretty sure it is a "black" and probably a Semi-gloss black. Could be Satin, but that is probably just the fact all the Weber grills of that era are 20 years old or older.

For us simple guys....just one.

But, I am sure paint manufacturers have 37 different names for the exact same color "black" paint.

I guess I should have asked if the black is a flat black or a satin black.

I sure as heck don't want to over restore the grill 😉

I use Rustoleum 2X Semi gloss black on the frames and most other black parts. I use Rustoleum Ultra black high heat on areas and parts that are adjacent to the cook box. Both match up very well together.

Satin may be closer to the original, but since I mix the 2x and high heat on the frame, I use semi gloss 2x because it matches the High Heat Ultra.

I sure as heck don't want to over restore the grill 😉

^^This is something I struggle with a lot.^^ And powder coat is one of those tough decisions I face quite often when toeing the over restore line. If it’s a personal grill, I say go for it. The only regret you’ll ever have is the expense and that pain will fade nicely over time.

Yes, this grill will be my keeper, powdercoating only.
I'm struggling weather I'm going to powdercoat the porcelain shelves or send them off to Missouri in Independence and have them re finished in actual porcelain.

Yes, this grill will be my keeper, powdercoating only.
I'm struggling weather I'm going to powdercoat the porcelain shelves or send them off to Missouri in Independence and have them re finished in actual porcelain.

What is the name of the place that does the porcelain refinishing? This summer I am wanting to experiment painting porcelain. I wouldn't think it would be too much different from painting cars.

So that is how its done? Bummer. I saw a video from the Weber factory of someone spraying a kettle in a little booth/fume hood, so I was thinking it wasn't terribly difficult. That makes sense why its so damn durable. I definitely do not have the equipment for that, lol.

I found it. They have some super cool looking color options. Did you get a quote? I would be curious as to what the cost of a lid would be. I think that would be kind of cool...
I had a lid done last year by IPE for $175. The downside is that the cost of shipping it both ways from NY rolled my total investment to almost $400. Cost of shipping obviously isn’t IPE’s fault, but you’ll want to factor it in. BTW - Jeff and the crew do fantastic work and their custom colors can really make a grill pop.

Back