Thawing the Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Rempe

TVWBB All-Star
Have a 6.5lb butt in the fridge now and been there since 11pm yesterday night. Any idea how long it will take to thaw in the fridge? Is it safe to leave out for a few hours before "magic time"??

If you frig is pretty cold like mine in my workshop, it would take a week to thaw, I believe. I left a twin pack from Sam's out most of a day and they did defrost but were still quite cold. I don't think you have a problem. It's not just getting into the danger zone but staying there for several hours that causes the problem.

Paul

Greg, mine takes at least 3 days to thaw out in fridge. I often leave mine sit out for several hrs to speed things up. Never had a problem. And how many times do people let the meat come up to room temp before putting on the WSM or grill.I do it
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Greg,
You are a Cleveland Browns fan...........leave it out on the counter for a week!! Just kidding! I leave mine on the counters for several hours to speed up the thawing process. If it is in cryovac wrapping you could put it in your sink in "cold" water and change the water every 30 minutes or so. That will really speed up the thawing process.

Greg,

I have a basement at my house and I have left mine out over night without a problem. They still take some time to thaw though. You could probably leave it out longer but just keep an eye on it.

Greg,

Like Larry said, leave it out for a week
icon_biggrin.gif

It really depends on the temp setting of your fridge...I keep mine down around 33 to 34 and it would take a week (no pun) to thaw. I have a fridge down stairs at the bar that I keep up around 38 to 39 and I use it for just that ~ thawing meat (and cold beverages, of course) and it only takes 2 or 2 1/2 days for that sized butt down there. Like others have said, you can leave it out for a while, but I won't do that. In fact, I go straight form the fridge to the smoker...I'll do the cold water thaw, but that's all
icon_wink.gif
Hail---to-the-Redskins------
icon_biggrin.gif

On edit: If I take a butt out of a 0 degree freezer, I might leave it out for several hours but only until the outside is just starting to soften, and it has to be in cryovac.
icon_smile.gif
I guess that's what the others were saying
icon_cool.gif

If you're going to take the butt to an internal temp of 195 to 205 for pulled I see no problem with leaving it out on the counter for several hours. I like to get mine thawed, rubbed and back in the fridge for a little while before cooking. Sometimes I let 'em sit befor I put them on other times they go straight from the fridge to the grate. Only thing I am super picky about is chicken and turkey. I can't help it that's the way my mama raised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back