Thawing a butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Watson

TVWBB Fan
How long to thaw a 7lb butt. I had to freeze it due to work issues not allowing me to Q'it. I'm ready for it this weekend and have put in the fridge. Just wondering how long it's going to take to thaw? Maybe I should take it out and put it on the counter for an hour or or so?

Joe, I let an 8lb butt sit out most of the day to let it thaw. If you would like to hurry-it-up...then fill the sink with cold water and drop it in...plastic bag of course.

I did a frozen butt last weekend and when I put the probe in, the inside was reading 27 degrees. The probe took a little pushing, but, it went in. Didin't really take any longer than a thawed one does.

Hope that helps, Joe!!

A 7 pounder takes me 2 to 3 days at 37 to 38* (top shelf)..You can accelerate it by doing as you suggested but leave it out for longer say 4 hours or so. It will still be frozen but the exterior should just be getting soft by then. You don't want the temp to get above 40* for any length of time. After that, cold water baths help. Good Luck
icon_wink.gif

In the refrigerator, you're looking at one day for every two pounds of meat on a cut like a pork butt. You could fill the sink with cold water, put the butt in a big ziplock, and change the water out once an hour to speed it up some.

wow, I had no idea it took so long to thaw. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Maybe I should just keep it frozen and go purchase another one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:You could fill the sink with cold water, put the butt in a big ziplock, and change the water out once an hour to speed it up some. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The operative word here is cold. Don't use warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back