That didn't go well... Stoker firmware update

Bill Sutton

TVWBB Member
That didn’t go well… So I decided I was going to update to the latest version of everything Stoker and attempted to update the firmware flash from 2.6.0.193 to 2.6.0.249 – not this time. The re-flash failed partway through and left the unit dead. I’ve done this plenty of time before (even do this sort of thing for a living) and it’s worked every time; don’t know what went wrong this time – heck, I was even sober!

Oh well, pour a shot and think of me, Stokerless, for the first time in years. Perhaps I’ll buy the bigger fan with the repair… it’ll make me feel better.

Cheers!

That can be so frustrating. A couple of years ago Canon put out firmware that if you touched the camera, it would "brick" it. You would think they would block all interrupts during the download but whoever wrote the code, was inexperienced enough to not do that.

Ok so here is my question then what if you have never run the update. I have had my stoker for a year and a half now and have never updated the firmware, do I really need to I am worried about this type of thing happening to me.

No, there is no need to update. There are no bug fixes and the only new feature, twitter support, is now in Stokerlog. I am running on 2+ year old firmware myself.

Just check one thing: does the fan only go from 0 to 1 or to 10? If the latter, then you should upgrade one revision as that gets you the proper fan status. But I am pretty sure in the last 1.5 years the right version has been shipping.

Amir: Just to be clear... I received a brand new Stoker last week. It's ready to go, out of the box, with no need to update, correct?

Thank you very much for all you do!

Probably so. Tell us what version it is. They sometimes update the firmware they are shipping without us knowing. The latest version of the software offered online is very slow. It works but it is slow (2X or more in making changes to temps, etc). i am hoping that is not what they are putting in the boxes they ship.

And thanks for the kind words Eric. It is my pleasure to serve the community. I would not have a clue as to how to use my smoker without all the great information on forums like this. And this is my unique way of returning the favor
icon_smile.gif

Wasn't there an update needed to use the new probes (pre probes with lights)? I seem to recall John had to change something in the probes that required an update.

Back