Tennessee > Memphis: Central BBQ

No. The Commisary is another joint. Maybe Cullen J can elaborate. I understand that the Commisary has great Q. It is on the list for next years Memphis Trip. Once I've tried it, I'll let you know.

Central is probably the local favorite the past couple of years. Great Q. There are two locations and they're both equally good.

Pat, you're thinking of the Germantown Commissary. It's also a local fav. Very good, but I prefer Central.

Like most of you, I've had alot of good BBQ from all over the country. Every time I'm travelling, I always seek out the good Q, especially when in a Q town like Memphis.

I think Central BBQ is the best that I've had while in Memphis. Awesome ribs.

Central is really great! Awesome atmosphere and sauce setup, with dispensers and little cups. You get your order very quickly, and they satisfy cravings for almost any style of bbq. If you want anything from vinegar, to dry rub, to thick sweet sauce... they got it.

I went to Central BBQ today with my wife. We had pulled pork dishes. She had the Nachos, I had the sandwich.
The pork was good. Good moisture in the meat and (for once in this town) a good amount of bark. The bark was not very strongly flavored, however, and you really only knew it was bark by the look of it and the texture. The meat had a little flavor to it, but not much. The slaw was good, but nothing to write home about. They had a mild and spicy sauce as well as a vinegar based recipe. The mild and spicy sauces were nothing special really, but the vinegar based sauce was amazing. This is the first vinegar-based sauce that I've ever liked and it will inspire me to try my own concoctions.

As I said, my wife ordered a large nacho with jalapenos. When they say large, they mean it. The plate was about 10x12" oval and piled with nachos. 4 people could have eaten off this thing and had their fill. The nachos were good quality, very thick and crunchy. A heap of pork was put over them, and over this was poured the generic boiling processed cheese product that is ever-present on nachos. Over this was shredded cheese and a good dose of jalapenos.

Overall, it was good but not great.

Which location did you go to, Matt? We ate at Central today also.

It's our favorite overall. Their nachos are my kids' favorite in town.

We ate at the one on Central. This place was probably my favorite for pulled pork on the trip. I wish I had tried their ribs.

I've only eaten at the one on Central and it's my favorite BBQ in Memphis so far.

I still have some joints to go but it beats Rendezvous and Interstate handily.

Still in Memphis as I write this. I ate at the Rendezvous last night as location for wedding rehearsal dinner. Not distinguished, especially the ribs which were not very good. The pork was good, and the beans were very good. Today we ate at The Pig on Beale and the ribs there were actually excellent, soft and very tasty. Our time does not permit us to spread out and find the "real" local places, but at least the Pig made me feel I had some decent Q.

Sorry you weren't able to get out to some of the other places, Mike. Pig on Beale is still "real," just the Beale location makes it a haven for tourists. For my money, Rum Boogie, which is also on Beale, is the better place in that area.

I did warn you about Rendezvous.
icon_biggrin.gif

True, Cullen, but there I HAD NO CHOICE. It was the venue for the rehearsal dinner, and nothing else around could have housed that crowd. In any case, it wasn't inedible, just not exciting.

Ate there several years ago on business trip. The dry ribs and brisket were phenomenal. Had to wait in line but there was a beer stand for those in the line.

Back