temps and times for marinating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Torges

R.I.P. 11/4/2016
I have one cook behind me based upon the information gleaned from this site (two briskets). Never did rubs before that cook, but was pleased with the results. I noticed that though I applied rubs 24 hrs in advance, they seemed to have more effect upon the meat in the 45 minutes after reapplication, while meat came to room temperature during WSM preparation, than they did in the whole preceding 24 hrs.

I realize this is a form of primitive cooking, and that judgment based upon experience rules, so I'm looking forward to arriving at a place where the temp. probes are not taskmasters but rather voices in the choir. Nevertheless, I'm curious about refrigerator temps and rubs as they affect marinades. When I leave meats in cures for the smokehouse, sometimes for 5 or more days at a time, refrigerator temp is important. Too cold (say less than 35 F) and the brines do not penetrate properly. Too warm (say much above 40 F) and there are other risks.

So it must be with rubs. Point: judging by how I saw the meat react to the rub first time around (nada cold; dramatic while warming), how important is it to apply the rub much in advance of the cook? Is a longer marinate more important to thicker cuts, say butts, than to something like ribs?

I have two very nice looking butts in the basement fridge marinating until tomorrow, early. At 37 degrees, pretty consistent.

I wish I'd waited another twelve hours before asking this question. There's a marked difference between the way the butts reacted to a refrigerated rub and the way the brisket did.

I don't have much experience with brisket.. yet.
I do know that when I am going to smoke up some butts(I'm finishing up an overnighter as I type), that I usually apply the rub the day before and refrigerate. The results have been excellent.

Dean
The salt in the rub given time to do it's thing works well. Thick cuts like brisket and butt need time, where ribs need only a couple of hours.
Let us know what you think, interesting coming from your background.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back