Temps and searing on the Genesis E-310

PJ Sloan

I'm moving to an apartment that prohibits charcoal grills, so I'm investing in a gasser. The WSM and kettle will be relegated to weekend use at the beach and in the alley : )

I've got my eyes on the E-310. I've considered the 330, but I don't really need a side burner. The sear station is intriguing, but I don't do a ton of steak. My dad's old Genesis (mid 1990s, going strong) heats to 550+ pretty easily on a warm day without any such addendum.

Questions for 310 owners/users: what are your experiences with temperatures and searing? Do you get the temps and grill marks you want? Do you regret not getting the sear station? I assume the fourth burner allows the 330 to heat up faster - but does it remain markedly hotter than the 310?

I prefer the PCI grates (shorter life notwithstanding), so we can assume that I'll be using those. I'll probably go for SS flavorizer bars within a few years, but I love cast iron.

Thoughts?

Also, good to be back. I pretty much learned to bbq from you guys back in '04.

P.

Last edited:
PJ,

I recently got the 330. It heats up much quicker than my old Genesis Silver, but it also consumes propane at a faster rate. I can get the grill up to 700 degrees very quickly, but not sure I reallly need that capability very often.
In my opinion, the sear burner is a nicety, but not a "must have".

Ray

I have a 330 and rarely use the sear burner. The grill gets plenty hot with the 3 std burners. And agree with the above that is heats a lot faster with the sear burner on.

Back