Temperature Regulation

Todd Finchler

TVWBB Member
I have some observations/questions concerning temperature regulation. Hopefully, those who know can inform those who merely think they know (like me).

1. From reading this forum, I understand that more charcoal produces higher cooking temperature and a longer cook. (Ok, I started off real easy...)

2. The more meat being cooked, the more the temperature will be reduced given the same amount of charcoal.

3. I understand that cooking in the wind or shade will give rise to a lower temperature than cooking in 90 degree sunshine - but how many cooking degrees could be affected by weather conditions?

4. Is it true that using less water will increase the cooking temperature - and that using warm or hot water will decrease the temperature less than cooler water.

5. If - for any given reason - the temperature is too low - is there anything wrong with opening the lower vents earlier in a cook just to achieve the desired temperature?

Thanks, in advance, for any responses. Hope everyone had a good Father's Day.

You're observations are pretty much correct.

It isn't really difficult to adjust to most conditions (wind in the winter to me is the most difficult by far).

Charcoal reacts a little slower than lump to airflow changes, but yes you can increase temps by opening the vents early on.

I always start with vents wide open until temps get to around 200. After that, it becomes kind of a feel thing as to how fast or as to when you begin closing the vents down.

Todd, if you are doing long cooks, use a full ring with a Minion cook. I would start with water in the pan and manage the temps as they rise. Just follow the basic instructions found on this site.

The best advice I have is to just let the cooker do its thing without over analyzing it.

Back