temperature plateaus

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Howdy,

I know that termperature plateaus happen when cooking large pork butts. But are there several temperature levels in the same cook that the meat will hold the temp for hours?

I just had a butt sit for 5 hours going from 160-170 and also 3 hours from 189 to 193. I gave up trying for the magical 195 F

Thanks for all the input,
Troy

Try moving the temp probe around, especially with pork butt. Lot's of different muscle groups and you'll get a different temp in each one.

Exactly right. I did a small half today-- so it would be done about the same time as the spares-- in about 6-7 hours, and, although the Taylor digital read 171 where it was inserted, several spot checks with my high-accuracy Thermapen revealed temps anywhere from there on up to 185.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] Exactly right. I did a small half today-- so it would be done about the same time as the spares-- in about 6-7 hours, and, although the Taylor digital read 171 where it was inserted, several spot checks with my high-accuracy Thermapen revealed temps anywhere from there on up to 185. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Boy, that is sure true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back