Temperature Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Willis

TVWBB Member
I've done several smokes on my WSM, all with great success, but I can't seem to get the temperature settings like I see on the post.

I've tried several different lighting methods, even starting with a full grey chimney, pouring them one the grate, filling to the tip, waiting for that to just grey, and still the same temperature issues. 3 different thermometers, too.

Oh, I forgot...the issue. The starting lid temp can vary depending on when I get the meat on and close the access door, but with all bottom vents open and of course the top open, the max temperature I get is around 230. This is really no big deal as I prefer this range (220 - 230) for my smokes, but if I venture to close even one of the bottom vents, it goes down to 200. Sun, slight to no wind, even light drizzle, the same thing.

So today when doing some whole chickens (the 1 - 1.5 hour way, the only way I could get it to 300 was to leave the access door off, let the temp get to about 325, put the door back on, then when it got to 275, take it off again, etc.

I've done pretty much all the troubleshooting on this site, and use only regular Kingsford (gone through about 10 bags with all my smokes).

Again, I did an overnight brisket and it held just around 225 the whole night with all vents open, so I'm not complaining, but just wondering if there's something wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Kingsford has plants in different parts of the country. Based on where these plants are located the mixture will be different because of the wood available. I don't know that this is your problem but can effect your ability to get the same results others may report.

Chances are that it could be something else don't have enough information to say.
Jim

David,
Check my thread in this forum titled: Can't reach/or maintain higher temps. Doug D. and Paul G. providing great feedback that really helped me out.

My problem was letting the temp get too low before adding my meat.

Also, for a quick burst of heat, invert your door vs. complete removal.

Good luck -
~ Sean

Hmmmmmm........ I've had the opposite problem, I have trouble keeping the temp under 240.
Just a thought, have you gotten all your charcoal from the same supplier? Maybe they had a batch that got wet or something, or they don't store it properly. I know Houston is a wet and rainy place. Maybe try getting it someplace else and see if there is a difference? Also you may wanna try lump charcoal, it burns hotter that briquettes, but it is not as consistent and doesn't last as long.

Your moisture comment made me think of something. I store my charcoal outside it an storage bin (rubbermaid). No water ever gets in, but I wonder if the humidity may be getting to it. It doesn't "feel" moist, and the bag is dry, but that could be it.

Where do you guys usually keep your coal. Garage? In the house somewhere?

I'll look for those other posts, too.

Sean, what do you mean by "invert" the door. Put it on backwards? (knob inside the cooker?).

Thanks to all.

I'm exactly in David's position - having trouble keeping my temperature up, and this convo has been helpful. Also, I went back to the thread Sean mentioned and found that useful as well. But, there was onet thing I wanted to get clear on. When Doug D was explaining his method for starting, he said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Light one Weber chimney with good fresh Kingsford and put it in the charcoal ring. Put another chimney full on top and let it just get ashed over. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, get one chmney good and going, then upt another chimney full *that is not started on top* of the already started coals. then wait until all the coals have an ash cover. Is that it? And any idea how much time we're talking about here [in warm conditions]?

Thanks,
michael

About 20 minutes for the first chimney, and another 15 or so for the second poured on top. Purchasing a second chimney, and lighting them both off at the same time is also an option.

"Inverting" the door means knob down, but I think you're asking for it to fall off altogether if you're cracking it open to feed the fire.

On the occasions I have done that, I leave the door mounted normally, and set my two chimneys stacked in front of the door to fine-tune just how much-- or little, actually-- I want the door open. That way it acts as an extra, adjustable vent and can be left that way as long as necessary.

Under the standard method, a chimneyful of unlit briquets is dumped into the charcoal ring on top of a chimneyful of fully lit ones. My suggestion, to speed things up, was to acquire a second chimney starter so that all briquets might be lit simultaneously.

I had a similar temp issue with some ribs this weekend.

I began with 2 weber chimneys full of hot, grey coals dumped evenly into the WSM. I then added some apple chunks, and let them catch fire.
Then I assembled the smoker, and added the pan with cool water and put the top on.

The bottom vents were closed, top open , thermometer read about 375.

Here is where I wish I had a log. I think I let the smoker cool off too much -temp ??- then I put on 4 rolled loin backs on the top shelf.

During most of the first 3 hours, I had trouble getting the lid temp to 225, it kept wandering to 200.

I wish I knew what the temp was when I put the ribs on, if I had to guess I would say close to 250? I think that did me in.

No, just from a tendency to be prudent. Same reason I usually cook under an umbrella-- I hate being at Home Depot or somewhere a couple miles away, and it starts raining.

I did have the same trouble as David. I only have 1 Q under my belt(baby back ribs x's 3) and they were good...but when the BRITU reciepe called for me to jack up the temp to 275 I could not do it. I added some unlit charcoal but to no avail. Perhaps I did wait to long initially to start cooking but the BRITU reciepe does specify to wait about 1 hr after you assemble the WSM to start cooking.

Thoughts and suggestions, or, patience?

Greg
A couple of things, You don't need to wait an hour to put the meat on and second jacking the pit temp at the end isn't needed to pull off great ribs.
How much fuel do you have left at the end of the cook? Getting a pit temp up to 275º should be simple if the fuel is there.
Jim

Jim,

Honestly there was quite a bit of fuel on the bottom when I added more...it was in an attempt to raise the temp to follow the reciepe to the "T".

How do you suggest I go about raising the temp when I need to. 4 hours after I finished cooking the temp was still holding form at 240-250!

Look forward to your info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back