Temperature check on ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade G

TVWBB Fan
With a butt, it's easy to check the temps.

However, with BB's and spare ribs- -how are do you check the temps? I presume they would be too thin to check temperatures.

I want to avoid messing them up, but is all I have to go on the temps, time and tear test?

Thanks.

Good question! What about the meat shrinking back and exposing like 1/4 inch of bone---does that test work with WSM ribs?

I'm a Rookie at this too,but that is how I did mine. The bone pulled back about 1/4 inch and it tore with a little resistence, the bone was clean. Mine was a single rack of spares on for 6 1/2 hrs. Girlfriend like them and she's a rib critique.

Bob

Gauging rib doneness by temp is tough. Time, feel, and visual inspection are the most reliable factors. I like to see more like a 1/2-inch pull-back. Under different circumstances, it varies. When you use foil (e.g. 3-2-1 method), the pull-back is often more than even 1/2". Whether you're using the WSM or not shouldn't make a difference.

Cook 'em until they're done. If you're not yet proficient in the tear or twist test then simply tear a piece of meat off and pop it in your mouth.

I'll generally use a tooth pick or else the stem of the thermo to poke through and draw back. If it goes through and back easily, you know they are done. The rib should not pull off the grill when drawing the pick or stem back. I've tried the temp thing but got reading of 186 (I've heard the ribs should be 200?) and knew they were done (tenderness). For me, the meat pulling back from the bone is a sign that I should be checking the ribs soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back