Temperature Charts!

Ron Pierce

TVWBB Member
I've seen food & WSM temperature charts over the course of a cook posted in the forums. I think it was in the Auto Temp Control section.

What additional equipment do I need for this capability? It looks like the Stoker can do this. Not sure about the BBQ Guru. Either way, I can't go there...yet.

Are there non-auto-temperature control solutions which provide this capability?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

First purchase some sort on temperature measurement device. Maverick, NuTemp, etc. This makes things a little easier. You don't NEED these if you have a good thermometer.

Keep a log. I usually write down vent settings, internal meat temp, grate temp and lid temps. I also log when I open the lid for any reason. It's great info to look back on.

MikeZ

Ron, the Guru doesn't do it. My question is why do you want to be so "scientific" about it? The WSM holds remps great on its own, add the Stoker or Guru, set the vents right, and it's pretty much set it/forget it.
Are you just curious about what happens during the smoke? Am in no way trying to bust your chops, just curious. I used to log all of my cooks. Weight of meat, temps, windy or not, things like that, but never really used the info. Spent a lot of time on a nice spread sheet for nothing lol. Others here still log info and it works for them.

Mostly I don't have to try to be scientific. It just happens. I'm an engineer by trade and at heart. I saw a chart posted, and liked it, for reasons I can't explain. I understand from general reading of this forum that it's not necessary.

I acquired a Polder probe thermometer ~7 years ago (original probe still accurate to withing a few degrees) and was looking at acquiring another thermometer. The feedback on Amazon indicates that either they don't last as well as mine has, or people don't take particularly good care of them.

Just trying to make good acquisition decisions.

Thanks for the advice.

Ron

Ron,

Bob’s right; the Guru won’t do it ~ By its self. I created a chart using the Guru, a laptop, Nu-Temp thermometers, a digital clock and a Quick Cam Pro. Set the quick cam’s software application to make a movie while taking a picture once every 5 minutes. Pointed the camera at the nu-temps and clock and ran it for 23 hours while cooking a butt. Viewed the movie one frame at a time while entering the data into Excel and generated a chart from there. Needless to say, I’ve only done one of them. LOL

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Pierce:
Mostly I don't have to try to be scientific. It just happens. I'm an engineer by trade and at heart. I saw a chart posted, and liked it, for reasons I can't explain. I understand from general reading of this forum that it's not necessary.

I acquired a Polder probe thermometer ~7 years ago (original probe still accurate to withing a few degrees) and was looking at acquiring another thermometer. The feedback on Amazon indicates that either they don't last as well as mine has, or people don't take particularly good care of them.

Just trying to make good acquisition decisions.

Thanks for the advice.

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No advice given Ron, just curious.
icon_smile.gif

Probably no different than one of my hobbies. I do Model train layouts for a "relax mode" type of event. I do stuff that nobody would ever notice on it, but I know it's there. People don't understand why I even have a paintbrush with ONE bristle on it for detail items lol.
icon_eek.gif
(Eyebrows for the little people lol)
Like I said, just curious.

Back