Temp Variations inside 22" WSM

Brett Fields

TVWBB Fan
Hello all.

I've been getting 30 to 40 degree (more towards 40) temp differences in my 22 between the top and center greats. If I fill up with ribs, I find those cooked on the bottom distinctly different.

Is this just me? Is there something I can do about this?

Haven't checked that out yet....I presume there will be some difference...but 40* does sound like a lot. I think most have noticed a variation in cooking from lower to upper in the 18.5" as well... I rotate the meat half way through a cook to negate it. I'm certain the water pan blocks radiant heat, as well as smoke, from the bottom rack. I rest my "lower grate" (an upper grate with handles) on the 4 lower strap bolts raising it a couple more inches off the water pan (both cookers)...seems to help an appreciable amount. Just got the biggin'..love it too
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yeah...
I does sound excessive, but I used a dual maverick with one probe on the upper and one on the lower. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I had brisket or shoulder down below and chicken or ribs up top. The big cuts get their own internal temp probes. My problem comes when I fill up with ribs, top & bottom. If I gotta start swapping around racks, thats gonne be a hassle. I was hoping to do ribs for a party on the 23rd.
Maybe I gotta ditch the water pan?

INMHO Ditching the water pan would probably reverse the temperature disparity, rather than eliminating it.
icon_frown.gif
Having handles on both racks makes swapping the grates mid-cook a snap ...I also rotate the grates 180* at the same time...
icon_cool.gif
The whole thing can be done in less than a minute like this: A)Remove lid <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">and</span> door. B)Remove top grate and set it on the Performers' grate area. C)Remove lower grate; rest on chimney (or 18.5 WSM grate area) D)RE-install grates in new locations; rotating them 180* E)Replace lid & door.
icon_cool.gif
I did this yesterday on the "maiden voyage" of my 22.5"WSM (having done it many times on the 18.5"WSM) ... friends and family have dubbed this flurry of activity the "Rondo Shuffle"
icon_wink.gif
By the way, I had 3 room temperature racks of ST Louis ribs laying boneside down on each grate, 6 total
icon_razz.gif
....if you're doing more than that and/or using rib racks it might present a challenge ... SMOKE ON!

OK. New plan. 6 racks standing down below, chicken up top for the party. I was gonna use the 3-2-1 method which would mean three swaps plus foiling and unfoiling. That sounds like an awful lot of handling to me...
Brett

I agree that's a lot of activity.
icon_smile.gif
Also, most folks modify/simplify the 3-2-1 idea down to approx 4 hours max. FWIW,.. I like to smoke ribs @ 225* or so for 1.5 hrs swap the grates, continue smoking for 1.5hrs....then, shut down the WSM.... sauce and foil the ribs adding 1/4 cup apple juice (or white wine) and place in a pre-heated 325* oven for 30-45 mins, let rest & SERVE with some warmed up sauce .... pretty simple..only, 1 swap
icon_wink.gif
The "easy/peasy" way is, skip the oven all together, smoke 2hrs, swap grates, smoke 1.5hrs sauce ribs,smoke til your desired doneness
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back