temp control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark M

The last couple of times I have done long cooks i have had a temp spike after 6+ hours of cooking. The temp control was great up this point; yesterday I checked the temp and it was 242 degrees and about 45 min later it was 292 degrees. Again, this was after about 6 hours and the temp seemed to be "settled down" I used the minion method to lite the WSM and put a combination charcol/lump charcol in the bottom and then covered with regular charcol. It has been very hot here, 100 degrees yesterday, not sure if this would be the reason for the temp spike? I had 2 pork shoulders cooking and the were done after 11 hrs and turned out great...

thanks, Mark

Mark,

I dont know if you know it or not but the lump charcoal will burn hotter then normal charcoal. What could be happening is since you start with normal charcoal and fired with the Minion method the lump maybe comming on later on thus raising your temps.

I have run my smoker this way as well and have also seen the temp spike when the lump got going. Generally I will make a vent adjustment in enough lead time that the temp spike wont happen at all or just 5 ot 10 degrees.

I'm learning that anticipation is big factor in temp control. The WSM will not adjust quickly once the vents are adjusted, but they will over time.

It is as BrockinFla says, the lump is get lit at that point and the temps climp. I'm not sure what you are gaining by putting lump at the bottom of the pile for a long cook.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back