temp control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark M

I tried a combination of lump and Kingsford charcol using the MM this weekend. After a few hours the temp got into the 280 degree range and I had a hard time getting it down to 225-230. I know lump burns hotter, do you think this was my problem? I had the bottom vents almost all the way closed....

I was thinking about using lump. Did you use the Green Egg coal? Just curious. Anyway, I've been using straight Kingsford. One thing that will certainly effect the temp is the air temp (outside) and the sun hitting the dome. It's about 100 in Texas right now and my cooker is in full sun light for most of the day. I've been using the minion method to fire the smoker which seems to work really well in slowing bringing the temp up. When I used the standard method it's really hard to bring the temp down. You can try adding cold water to the pan and make sure that all the bottom vents are shut down to help bring the temp down. I think I might try using the lump coal when it gets cooler outside.

J. Clay:

I did not use the type of charcol you mentioned, just some basic lump. Had about 2/3 Kingsford and 1/3 lump. The day was not overly hot, so I think the lump must have added the extra heat.

I did receive some information from another user that lump or regular charcol should not matter as far as temp control based onthe limited supply of oxygen inside WSM.

Mark

I would not mix the too unless you want to cook in the higher temp ranges ie: poultry.
Cooking at altitude or want to start a higher temp cook on a large roast and them cool the temp of the pit over the rest of the cook ie: looking for some med-well exterior to a roast but want rare to med rare center, these situations maybe a good time to try your Kingsford, lump mix. I would not use much lump because it would make bring the pit temp down much more difficult.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back