Temerature - Lid or Grate ?

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
Hi:

I just switched to a Maverick ET-73 thermometer and now think in terms of grate temperature rather than lid temperature. In a lot of the cooking discussions, temperatures are referred to without indication whether they are lid or grate temperatures. I know there is only a 10-15 degree difference, so maybe there is no need to specify lid or grate. Should I assume that if a temerature is not designated as lid or grate that it is a lidtemperature. I think I am attaching too much important to a digital read-out that shows 1 degree changes and should just be happy if I am with 10-15 degrees of any temperatures in the discussions. The remote read-out sure is convenient when you are keeping a log on a PC

John

John--

Usually people specify if there's likely to be confusion, but not always, as you've noticed. Often the cue is taken from upthread i.e., someone posting establishes lid or grate and subsequent posters follow suit without specifying.

I think most of us do low/slows between 225-235/240 at grate (235-250 lid) so if someone says '235' I assume grate unless something else in the post leads me to think otherwise. In that case, or if my responsse depends on it, I ask.

John,

I'm glad that you asked that question. I ordered my Maverick ET-73 thermometer yesterday and was already trying to figure out what the temp should be at the grate.

Kevin, thanks for the response.

Vic

John,
When I have my therm in the lid, and one at the grate, I have found that there is only about an 8 degree difference between the 2 after a short time.
I go by lid temps most times anymore.

Back