TelTru on a WSM, stem lenght recommendations needed

N Delo

TVWBB Member
I want to go somewhat low-tech and am thinking of replacing the broken, foggy stock therm with a teltru. Any recommendation on stem length?

I already have all the gadgets to monitor and control temps at grate-level -- a Stoker, the Mavericks, etc. -- but recently I've been hankering to just go low-tech and use old-fashioned time, appearance/feel and a ball-park lid temp to tell when things are done. I've already decided on the teltru route, so now I'm just wondering what works best for stem length.

Cheers and thanks for any advice

I installed the BQ300- 2 1/2 stem on my OTG / CB. I think the short stem works the best because you will have less chance of it hitting or getting close to anything once the lid is in place. It has worked so good I am thinking about doing the same thing on my 22 WSM.

I installed the BQ300- 2 1/2 stem on my OTG / CB. I think the short stem works the best because you will have less chance of it hitting or getting close to anything once the lid is in place. It has worked so good I am thinking about doing the same thing on my 22 WSM.

Clyde, would it be possible to post a picture of your mod. Thanks

The 1/4" pilot hole was drilled 2 3/4" from the end of the tab where the handle connects to the lid, (hope that makes sense). It takes a 7/8 hole for the Tel-Tru adpator kit to fit.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Back