Tel-Tru Themometer mounting in the lid additional tip

Robert C. Wells

I purchased a 3.25-inch Grill Hood Thermometer with the Hood Thermometer Mounting Kit by Tel-Tru from 4thegrill on the internet. It arrived in due time well packed and in one piece. I also went to Home Depot and purchased the step drill as described in the instructions on The Virtual Weber Bullet. After measuring the distance from the screw hole in the top handle to the rivet in the top damper, I taped and marked the spot I wanted to drill on the opposet side of the damper. Following your instructions was easy and I found I was able to drill my hole and prep for the next step in mounting. I fitted the thermometer in the hole, put the washer from the mounting kit on the threads and screwed on the lock nut only to find there was some space left between the thermometer base and the lid as the threads didn't run all the way up. In searching for something to go over the 1/2-inch stem, I found a 3-inch fender washer with a 1/2-inch hole. It was soon opened with the step drill to fit the thermometer. With the washer on the thermometer, I found I had a tight fit with a heat deflector as well. The 4thegrill item numbers are TEL101 for the kit @ $4.40 and TELBQ300S for the Thermometer, Silver Face @ $33.99 and it came to a total of $46.29 with the shipping. My 2001 Bullet was a twice handed down from gift from my son who got it from his best friend. It had only been used once! The lid is the place for the thermometer and the large 3.25-inch is the best as you can read it easily. Oh, the washer came from parts I keep for my 6-foot Woods mower; but, any large thick washer will do.

Back