teflon coated grill grate

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Just picked up a used 22 1/2 in and it came with what the guy said was a Teflon coated Grill grate. Whether tis teflon or -not I don't know but its nonstick or coatedsd in some way. nice as there is no rust on it but I was always told that or high heet that non stick surfaces were not necessarily the healthiest to cook on as they may put some of their chemichal composition (PTFE'S - i'm not sure here) in the food.

Since grilling is most often a high heet endeavor I'd love to get some opinions. I'm thinking it could be nice in the 22 in smoker as the temps are low and make clean up easy when making things like jerky or smoked fish??

Any thoughts opinions or resources to look to on this.

Thanks

That might be one of those replacement grates that Menards sells. They have a black finish similar to a porcelain coating, and I believe the package says that it's also nonstick.
If you have a store near ya it might be worth a trip to check it out.

Tim

I'm not familiar with a non-stick coating that is safe over 400-450 degrees. I've been selling cookware for years and no one recommends placing in an oven at high heat. If it is made of a substance that has non-stick properties that doesn't include a coating then you might be ok but I'd check it out thoroughly before grilling on it.

I agree with Chuck, non-stick coating fall's apart in the 400-500 degree temps, it's more likely porcelain coated.

Back