Taylor vs. Polder customer service experience

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I previously posted about a problem i had with my new dual temp digital polder that went bad. I contacted polder and they said it is not made for a smoker, it's an oven thermometer, so they would not cover the probe under warranty. I told them the temps in the smoker were 225 so it should not matter. Still, they would not cover it. I was not pleased so I told her i would return the entire unit for a refund, which i did.

I purchased an inexpensive Taylor candy thermo with a large dial. Did the boil test and found it to be off by over 25 degrees, which surprised and disappointed me. It was not adjustable. The store sent me a new replacment and the temp on this one was off by 40 degrees despite trying the test several times. I threw them both away and purchased a Thermopen about 45 days ago.

I decided to contact Taylor after the fact to tell them about the two thermometers, and told them they were only $10-11 so it wasn't a big deal, nor did i have high expectations from such an inexpensive unit but was surprised at the inaccuracy from a Taylor brand product. Bottom line is, they immediately asked for my address and mailed me a new candy thermo, but upgraded it to the professional series, which really wasn't too much more expensive, but certainly a better unit. The boil test proved it's accuracy, but more important, great customer service, in stark contrast to Polder.

I went through 3 Polders in less than half a year. Dropped one, so that was fine, the other two just crapped out. I will never buy anything from them again. I emailed Nu-Temp about their unit and they had it to me in 2 days and (knock on wood) it has been going strong for over a year now.

Sorry to hear that others are having trouble with their crap too.

I must say that I am very pleased with my Nu-Temp products.

I've used them for 4 or 5 years now (although not as often as most of you).

The only thing that would be nice is if they would add a shut-off to save the batteries. There have been times that I've had to replace the batteries too often because the screen becomes dim, and sometimes I have an ominous beeping from my pantry, where I store them.

I really like the product.
Rita

I have been more pleased with my Taylor than the Polder, and I believe it does have an "on/off" switch. I've never tried the Nu-Temp.

Paul

I agree with Rita Y, I wish the NuTemp had an on-off switch. Outside of that it is great. I once had one of the remotes go bad, NuTemp was great on replacing it.

I also purchase a Polder in years past. Piece of junk. Never again...tom

I had a Polder that was supposed to be dishwasher safe. I figured dishwasher safe would mean it was pretty durable. One trip through the dishwasher and it was toast. Tried emailing Polder, but they never replied. I'll never purchase one of their products again!

Back