Taste your spices

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
In preparation for revising my basic rub and KC sauce, I tasted a few of the spices I wanted to consider.
I felt I 'knew' the spices I was considering.
I sampled thyme, sage, oregano, chili powder...I just tried a pinch-by itself.
Some were surprising. One was a dud. Old? Maybe.
Different that I had expected ? Yep.
I am a very amature cook, who has enthusiasm.
Getting to know the spices I am using-and have used for years is now on my list.
I can only wonder how they learn at Johnson & Wales here in Charlotte.

The same way you did.

And smell can be even more powerful. Think of how a smell can bring back a memory of a moment that happened years ago.

When I teach aspiring cooks I always insist they taste their work as the recipe progresses. I have them taste its components (like the spices), but I have them smell everything--even things like mayo, lemon juice, or cider vinegar--I really mean everything. And I have them do it each time the open that mayo jar, every time they unwrap the parmesan for grating, each time they pull the caramelized onions off the stove (and if they've added herbs or spices or wine or whatever to the onions during the cooking, then they've smelled each item before it was added, and then they smelled the onions after each addition cooked a bit and contributed its essence. It becomes second nature after a while. I have done this for so long I scarcely notice I'm doing it.

Two major things (relating to food) are possible as a result. The brain has an amazing ability to remember and compartmentalize sensuous experiences, but particularly those involving smell. The first (perhaps obvious) thing is that with experience smelling what something is supposed to smell like when fresh, you can immediately recognizes when it's 'off', spoiled, or just old.

The other (perhaps less obvious) thing is that as you build a repertoire of smell (and to some degree taste) experiences, you learn to 'taste' in your head. It's mostly the smell that does it though. Example: Earlier today I read a recipe for 'cowboy' beans that included dark coffee. This is not something I've included in my version before but I could immediately 'insert' this mentally into my version (and I like it).

I work on upwards of two dozen recipe 'projects' at a time. But 90% of my recipe development takes place while I'm on the road or otherwise out of the kitchen. It's smell memory that makes this possible. If you've an interest in cooking add this tool to your arsenal. I guarantee it will make you a better cook.

A note on dried spices and herbs: I buy from Penzey's and a couple other sources because their quality is so good. Their quality is good because it's what they know, they source themselves, and because they sell so much I can be assured that it's fresh. This can't be said about warehouse stores and discount chains where their products might have spent months in a distribution center or were purchased already well past their prime, or both.

Though, for the sake of freshness, I prefer to buy in the quantities I'm likely to use within a few months at most, if you prefer to buy in larger quantities, remove what you think you'll use in the next several weeks or so and vacuum-save the remainder.

SP,

I agree with Kevin's comments about Penzeys.com. They have good quality and I have found them to be wonderfully reliable. Once, I placed an order via computer and two hours I realized I needed to add one more item I placed a second order with a "comment" added requesting them to combine the orders if possible. I got a reply back in 2 houirs that they had combined the orders to reduce S/H costs.

Ray

Kevin - Hey man, great post! My wife laughs when I get spices out and smell and taste and such. Must admit, I'm not quite as formal about it as you suggest, but I do believe I'll change that!

Another endorsement for Penzys here. Only I have the pleasure of having a Penzy's store 1 mile from my house.

S. Petrone,

Just a tid-bit of trivia...

On an episode of Emeril Live, he mentioned that spices and seasonings should be kept in the cupboard for NO MORE THAN a year - they should be replaced, as they lose their potency.

Personally, I don't do that. My high volume usage spices like paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, pepper are used up and replaced in under a year.

-Albert
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe McManus:
... I'm not quite as formal about it as you suggest, but I do believe I'll change that!

Another endorsement for Penzys here. Only I have the pleasure of having a Penzy's store 1 mile from my house. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Joe. The only 'formality' required is consistency. You don't need to burry your nose in something for ten minutes (although i can get 'lost' in a bag of really good coffee); a brief whiff will do it. You'll sub-consciously remember the smell. When you've built up enough smell memories you'll find yourself starting to combine various ones and 'taste' in your head.

Does your Penzey's have a large lot or is it near other stores with large parking lots--enough to get a big truck (without the trailer) into? I get through there in the spring and summer and can drop my trailer fairly easily nearby. What do you think?

Kevin,

Pretty congested in downtown Naperville. There are several parking garages nearby, but I'm assuming you're trying to park a class-8 truck so that's not a feasible option. There used to be some empty lots that would have worked perfectly, but they are built up now. Not too much west of the store, but there are a couple parking lots east of the store (a bank parking lot, and a park parking lot that would probably be suitable (not sure if there are truck restrictions or not).

If you know when you'll coming through town I might be able to help you out a bit as well. Could pick you up and shuttle you down or even pick some stuff up for you. That'd be easy enough to work out.

Given that you like smelling the spices, you better allow for quite some time in the store. They have little canisters full of the spice in question throughout the store. It really is pretty cool.

There is another store in Oak Park (On Lake Street, don't know the address), but parking would really troublesome there.

Cool, thanks. And thanks for your shuttle offer. Class 8 is right. The bank might work. I don't mind walking a mile or two or three either. I really want to go in a Penzey's. Get lost for a while. If I'm coming and have some lead-time I'll let you know.

Guys, I am down with smell! I have been taught that 80% of 'taste' is smell.
When I was in the wine business, I relied heavily on smell. Oddly enough, I found that smell was NOT a good predicter of flavor with many French wines for some reason. Some had a heavenly nose but lacked the rich flavors I expected. Others had a heavy 'wet dog' nose and were delightful. Go figure. Most domestic and Australian wines were very predictable based on the nose.
Since smell is such an intregal part of taste, it should be no surprise when our BBQ tastes different the next day. We get a sensory overload from the smoke when cooking.

Kevin do you have a KC style or tomato based sauce recipe you would like to share? While I am at it a rub too?

You're right. Smell does not necessariliy predicate taste as you noted but smell is kind of the glue that sticks memories in place. When it comes to cooking, those memories can go a long way in helping us develop recipes, flavor combinations, or approaches to something we want to do.

On the recipe question: sure. I don't often make KC-style sauces but I'm working on one in my head that I hope to do in the next few days or so. My brother is coming with his family at the end of next week. He's particularly fond of that style. I'll post it as soon as I'm home again and can hone in on specific quantities. I'd be most interested in your opinion.

Kevin, I doubt I could add to your creation...you have quite a track record. I have posted my last version of my sauces in recipes.

I saw them. I like your approach and I like that you like to make your own sauces so I'd be interested in what you think. I'll get it posted in the next few days--a week tops.

Back