Tandoori wings

G Dechaine

TVWBB Pro
Made a batch of tandoori wings, grilled over some Royal Oak lump. I'm testing it out after not having used it for a bit. The marinade consists of plain yoghurt, a paste of ginger/garlic/green onion/hot chili, garam masala, tandoori spice, salt/pepper, lemon juice. Although it doesn't look it in the pics, the colour was pretty red, which is nice.
Pre-grill
set-72157624227576208

On the grill
set-72157624227576208

Loaded up
set-72157624227576208

Plated, with Quinoa salad some grilled corn (in the husk).
set-72157624227576208

Thanks for looking.

Gary, Greg, George or Gerard, (
icon_biggrin.gif
) AWESOME lookin' Wings man!
The last two photos, i'll be eeting in my sleep tonight.

Hey Dechaine - Very nice job. Glad to see you back in action and posting pics. I've seen the ingredients for the Tandoori sauce several times and just haven't taken that step yet. Thanks for sharing and again, Nice job. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Ol boy got himself one of those lime green Crate & Barrel Performers. Purdy. :p That's a LOT of wings there, son. You're supposed to send out dinner invites for cooks like this. My email is empty. I'm crushed.

G Dechaine,
Do you have the amounts for the marinade/ recipe? It looks really good and I would like to give this a try. Where did you get the tandoor spice?
Lance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gary, Greg, George or Gerard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

0 for 4, Jim. It's something a little more angelic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you have the amounts for the marinade/ recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lance, unfortunately, I don't have an exact recipe, because that's not how I cook. But, I can give it to you in proportion to a large plain yoghurt container (650 grams, I think, whatever the size up from snack size is). Apologies, some of the ingredients were missing from above...

-peeled ginger about the size of your thumb
-4-5 green onions, cleaned
-4 cloves garlic
-1 or 2 hot chilies (jalapeno would work, I use long red chilies that aren't super hot)
-handful of fresh coriander/cilantro

Create a paste with the above ingredients in a food processor or blender. Then add to large mixing bowl.

Spices includea heaping teaspoon each of:
Garam Masala
Dried Coriander
Dried Cumin
3-4 Cardamom pods, crushed slightly with the flat of your knife
Tandoori spice*

Put the spices in a dry nonstick pan and heat them through, until you can smell them. Don't burn. Then add to the paste in the large mixing bowl.

Add the tub of plain yoghurt, the juice of 1-2 limes depending on how juicy they are, and the zest wouldn't hurt either. Mix thoroughly. Add wings and let marinade at least two hours.

*Tandoori spice: if you can go to a store that carries indian ingredients or "ethnic foods", it's probably there. It's mostly for colour, but there's also some stuff in there for flavour. I wouldn't be surprised if Whole Foods in the US carried it. If you can't find it, not the end of the world. A couple drops of red food colouring will work, if you're aiming for the tandoori colour.

P.S. This isn't necessarily an authentic tandoori recipe, but who cares?

Oh, and if ever you want to make butter chicken (or chicken tikka masala depending on where you're from) you can use this recipe and partially cook your chicken and use it in the butter chicken process. But that's another recipe.

Well I embarked on the Tandoori adventure tonight. Will let the wings marinate until tommorrow evening. I am a bit concerned though. My Tandoori marinade is not even remotely red. It is more like a white liquid with brown and red specks in it. LOL! I sampled a small bit and it did taste good and I think I will be ok..... here is the recipe I used, except I replaced the curry powder with garam masala. The garam masala I bought was brown btw.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10...doori-style-marinade

Back