Talkin' a long time for turkey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve C.

Tried a pair of boneless turkey breasts tonight. Overall turned out pretty good. The only problem was it took much longer than I planned. I kept the temp between 230 and 250, with a short duration up to 270 when I went to the store. For some reason these 2.5 lb (x2)breasts took 4 hours to get up to 160*. And this is after foiling the last half hour with the temp at the grate bumped up to 310*. The temp just hovered at 150* for the longest time. Any ideas why it took this long?

The more you read about barbecueing and the WSM, the more you will realize that poultry just doesn't benefit from the low & slow techniques that we use on pork and brisket-- there's no intramuscular fat and connective tissue to be broken down. Overcooking-- and the dryness it can bring-- is the enemy. Leave the water pan dry, pump the cooking temp up to 300-325°, brine the meat beforehand, use smokewood sparingly, pull the meat off when the white meat reaches 161°, rest it until residual heat brings it to 165°, and you will have fabulous results.

I take the sand out of my waterpan, line the waterpan with foil and go for a hot cook. NO minion method.

On a side note, I saw 58 cent per pound turkeys at the wally store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back