TALKED ME INTO IT.

chris comer

TVWBB Super Fan
Well you guys have talked me into it. 2nd brisket 1st high heater. The chimney is fired up the meat is rubbed down and in a few minutes the brisket will go on. Hope I get this right, you guys have made it sound so easy that I have to give it a try. I've allowed about 5 hours to get it done for dinner, if I go over a little that's ok too. We are used to eating late around here. Wish me luck. Thanks....Chris

Looks like a modified high heat attempt. She has setteled in at about 305 degrees with all vents 100 open and the door slightly propped. Looks like the high altidue thing is messing with me again.

If you need some heat, take this tip from Bryan S. Place the lid a little off so that it is slightly open up top. When you get to where you want to be, put the lid flat as usual. I have tried this on high heat brisket cooks and it works well. As Bryan S says, if you open the door, a lot of heat goes out the door

Was just thinking about going that route. Think I'll wait till a little more smoke hits the meat. Thanks for the input. Love this site always someone out there to offer assistance or a different perspective. Thanks......Chris

I've been here for 13 months. I knew nothing about doing my own BBQ before. Grill yes BBQ no. What I do know, as limited as my knowledge may be, I owe to this site. I like to think that I turn out some decent Q now. Would not be doing it without the information here.

Can I expect to get any bark on this brisket? Well into the cook and it is not browning up. Offset the lid to run high temps but no bark, is this normal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chris comer:
Can I expect to get any bark on this brisket? Well into the cook and it is not browning up. Offset the lid to run high temps but no bark, is this normal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah the bark suffers some on high heat cooks, but they come out very moist so it's a trade off. If you looked at my pics from the "small packer" thread yesterday, you'll see how different the bark is on the flat verses the point. The difference is pretty big.

The bisket came out as advertised, moist & tender. Far better than my first attempt. Would have posted some pics but after a dozen Coors it was all I could do to brush my teeth and hit the rack after that fine meal.
Thanks to all.....Chris

Back