Taking temp of rib while in cooler

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

B

Barry

I plan on smoking some ribs tomorrow and bringing them to a friends house in the afternoon. I plan to be done with them a couple of hours before serving and will put them in a cooler lined with newspaper.

Question I have is what is the best way to monitor the temp of the ribs? Where should I put the probe in the meat?

Thanks in advance.

Be careful with the meat probe wire where it enters the probe. You'll have a lot of condesation build up in the cooler and if water gets into where the wire enters the probe, your probe will be junk. A cooler thaat was pre heated with hot water for about 10 min and then lined with some heavyduty bath towels and double wraped foiled ribs should be fine for at least 4 hrs. Now if your putting them in a huge AZZ 100 qt cooler or such then your temps might drop down but.............. I never ever worry about it if it's 4 hrs or less.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for those tips. Where in the ribs would you suggest I put the probe?

I have never taken the temp of my ribs with a prob and from what I have read here before most people are the same way. If I remember right it's because the meat is so thin that you wont be able to get a good temp read. The best way to tell when you ribs are done is the old bend test or to poke it with a toothpick. If you do some looking around on some other posts you should be able to find some conversations around how to tell when ribs are done. Usually you can also tell when they are about to be done just by monitoring your time. Usually around 4 - 5 hours is what it takes me.

When I spoke about taking the temp I should have been more specific. What I want to do is monitor the temp of the ribs when they are in the cooler. How is the best way to do that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barry:
When I spoke about taking the temp I should have been more specific. What I want to do is monitor the temp of the ribs when they are in the cooler. How is the best way to do that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In my above post I mention the process and if it's 4 hrs or less don't worry about monitoring the temps. Barry, How many hrs are you going to try on hold the ribs?

The first time I had to hold meat for more then a couple hours, I filled a old hoy water bottle up and put in the cooler with the towels and food. Worked like a charm! Food was still piping hot 5 -6 hrs later.

Tom

My food always stays hot in the cooler. We have cooked chicken at a football game put in a garbage bag then in a cooler. Came back from the game opened the cooler and oppened the bag and steam comes out and the chicken is falling off the bone. I agree 4 hours in a cooler and stuff is still hot. If you are worried about health issues you could wrap, refridge, and re heat.

Back