Tailgate Fatties!

good choices Rich! When I do breakfast fatties I use Jimmy Deans sage and serve on coriasants. The pizza and ruben ones are also a crowd favorite!

What? 165 temp and no it isn't
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jeff Coil:
What? 165 temp and no it isn't
icon_smile.gif

AHAAAA I never saw a temp mentioned. I was cooking between 250 and 310. And yeah at that temp 3 hrs was WAY too long. Two hrs was too long, the bacon was crispy and it was still tasty.

Oh yes! I have cooked them at that temp as well and take around an hour and a half. I think they turn out better cooking at 220 for longer. Allows for more smoke
icon_smile.gif

Hi guys, I just got in on this post and had to join in. I finished buildingmy mini-WSM LAst MOnday and had to give it a try. I decided to give a plain fattie with a bacon wrap a try. I tried to keep the temps right around 220/230, and it took me about 3 hours. Heres a few pics..
Just put the fattie on the mini..
100_0070.jpg

The fattie after about 90 minutes..
100_0073.jpg

The fattie hot off the smoker..
100_0074.jpg

Cut in half to show the smoke ring..
100_0076.jpg

I plan to make one this weekend using all the things found in a omlett.
miini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Looks good! I have smoke anything since the Hawkeye bowl game and we have been eating up all the frozen left overs. We are having great weather now and most of the snow is gone so I am smoking something this weekend. I think brisket or been wanting to try some chuck roasts may some ribs.....maybe all of it!

Jeff,

I dont suppose you could send me the ingredients to your fatties u made at this tailgate party and how to make them? I wanna make them for my party coming up. They look amazing I can see some of the ingredients in the pictures but some are to hard to make out. you can email them to me if you dont mind I would greatly appreciate it. I am building my own recipe book for everything I wanna try.

My email is cowleyms01 at gmail dot com

Semper Fi

Hey fellas sorry for the delay! First on the recipe. Really what you can see is what I used. The best part of a fatty is get a pound roll of sausage and fill it with what sounds good! I have made so many different ones and all are really good. But to pick a favorite the pizza is real good. Note use a seasoned tomato paste vs pizza sauce. Actually try the sauce never have myself!

As far as servings.... Really depends on the folks eating but for my catering biz I figure 6-10 servings depending on the other fare, normally these are more of a finger food to get things started. If you break it down a cooked fatty is a lb and a half at most.

For me I have been doing more than I need and have found these taste real good left over. Once I get the smoker going I do more food and vacum pak!

I just found this website less then a week ago. I saw these Fatties and ABT"s and have to give them a try. thanks for the pictures they helped me make these.

Cool good stuff for are! Made some ABTs for labor day...need to make some fatties, been awhile! What kind did you make?

Iending up making a pizza fatty. Italian sausage, pepperoni, pizza sauce and cheese turned out pretty well. I think I'm going to try the chili cheese dog next

Hello, not sure about pit temp.of 180. I normally do these at normal low and slow temps (220_240ish) . I have cooked on the kettle at a higher temp as well (300ish) I think these turn out better at a lower cook temp as they have more time to take in smoke. With that said i use cherry and apple for most everything and set the smoke up as i would doing a butt. Have never over smoked a fattie but using a "harsher" wood like hickory it could happen. For just fatties i use about 3 base ball chunks. Letting them fully ingulf and settle down a bit becpre adding the fatties. If using hickory i would start with one good sized chunk and see what you think. Cook till a 160/165 internal and enjoy!

Actually i amm doing some this weekend, been a while, have my sausage rolled and ready resting i. The frig! Gunna be good and looking forward to it
Cheer

Thanks for all the extra info Jeff. I showed your pics of your carries to a couple of my buddys and there jaws dropped. We can't wait to make some.

Back