Table for kettle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie (Green Bay)

TVWBB Member
Has anyone built their own table to hold a Weber kettle? I love my OTG, but i always store it inside. I would love to have a table that the kettle dropped in (with the legs off). I think it would be nice to have something like that on my deck that i wouldn't have to worry about blowing over.

Just looking for ideas.

Unless you are building a custom kitchen or have tons of money, the price of building materials being what they are, makes more sense to just find a CL performer and call it good.

This is a topic that pops up every couple of months.

I have the same desire to build a bigger table, either for my 26OTG or my BSK (or both)

I also just caved and bought a Performer this summer.

Maybe next summer I'll make a table.

Anyway, the Performer isn't the "end all"/"be all" perfect tool, imho. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I'd design improvements into my table, including:

larger table size
larger grill size than 22.5
taller table top (i'm 6'4")
more utensil storage
MUCH better wheels (10" pneumatic)
a fire brick lined chimney lighter that is NOT in the grill
finishing touches: paper towel holder, matchbox holder, drink holder, 6 pack cooler, etc.

Hey, if anyone is going to build a table, keep us informed. The biggest challenge seems to be how to mount the grill's bottom bowl to the table. You need something strong enough to carry the weight of the kettle, but something that is fireproof. The handles alone are not going to be sufficient to carry the weight. I have seen a guy on here that fashioned some sort of metal ring that tucked under the rim of the bowl, and then the ring sat on the table.

My plan would be make some short replacement legs and put them in the 3 flanges on the underside of the grill. Then make a lower shelf at one end of the "table" so that the grill surface is even with the table top. Then I'd use the area under the shelf as drawer space.

My dream is to someday do this with a Ranch Kettle, which seems easier to do because the 4 legs are vertical, as opposed to the 3 flared legs on smaller kettles.

I always come back to this thread , also.....even did my own specs , for a slightly smaller one...then a performer popped up on CL and that's all she wrote

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a fire brick lined chimney lighter that is NOT in the grill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for that idea Darrel. I am going to build an outdoor kitchen and my 26" will be built in. Even having a performer it would be a benefit. I usually light the chimney for about 2 minutes and then kill the gas. I could then move it to firebricks.

Yeah, what I am envisioning is a 4 sided box. The missing sides (from 6) are the top and front face. Then, if it is lined with firebricks, it serves as a convenient shelf/holding area for the 10 minutes for the chimney to light.

I also just thought that an old smokey joe could serve the same purpose... just a place to stash the chimney while it heats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back