Tabasco Wood Chips?

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
I was just at the mall and went into the cooking store there. They have a BBQ/grilling section that I always look at. I went back there and saw a bag of Tabasco wood chips! This was new to me. On the bag it stated, "These wood chips are made from the white oak barrels used to age TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce." Has anyone heard of this before? What kind of flavor does it give your meat? It definately sounds interesting!!

Well, I can't say to that, not having tried them. But, one thing I know, if you stand there and shake Tabasco on your steak as it grills, it will be the best tasting steak you've ever had.

It isn't Tabasco hot, but Tabasco flavor. The thing is, you can not get the flavor by marinating it. Go figure.

I would highly recommend trying these. As you say, they are made from the barrels that hold the pepper mash for the three year aging. Some of the barrels were used more then once.

The chips impart a strong oak flavor to your meat with a definite spiciness. Great on beef, pork and chicken.

The smoke it gives off brings tears to your eyes - the pepper mash in the wood burns off in the smoke. Open your grill/smoker upwind.

Back