T.Q.

john atkins

TVWBB Member
anyone ever used tender quick before. I have used it on ribs andleft it on for 10 minute then washed it off. Ruin the ribs. Too salty.
John

For pastrami, yes. For anything else, no-- it's only going to make pork taste like ham.

I use it when I do my smoked turkeys/ducks at Xmas. Add some to the flavor brine ala Shake's recipe for Honey brine. Not much else though

Tenderquick is great stuff.... for cured meat
icon_smile.gif
Bacon and Pastrami have turned out wonderful with it, but the only other use I've seen it for is putting a fake smoke ring on brisket.

I know of a few teams that use TQ to make an ... ehem... enhanced "smoke" ring on their briskets. I attended a brisket class at a comp in Colorado taught by a VERY highly regarded competitor and restauranteur who taught us the technique. Only time I ever did it was when I did my great TQ experiment a couple of years ago and TQ'ed HALF of a flat while leaving the other half clean, just so I could get individual slices with the TQ effect on one end and only true "smoke" ring on the other. You can't tell a TQ ring from a smoke ring by color - I can mimic the deep red-purple color with changes in wood and cooking techniques. The main difference was that, while the smokering on the REAL smoke-ring side of the brisket slices was of nicely even depth and the inside demarcation line of the smokering was smooth, the TQ-enhanced side was of uneven depth with a more jagged demarcation. This was evidently due to the uneven absorption of the TQ chemicals through the pores of the meat.

Hey, you asked!
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

The same chemical processes occur whether one makes a smokering with smoke or with a curing agent. Though one might be able to tell the difference between the two visually they are in effect the same thing.

Curing agents are not a good choice to be used as a rub. Some agents used incorrectly can cause very serious health issues including death.

I would never use a curing agent except as directed for the desired results.
Jim

Back