szechuan peppercorns in rubs?

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I picked up some real szechuan peppercorns recently and have been having some of the best stir fries of my life.

anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone has used them in rubs before or some other bbq application?

I'm envisioning ribs with a rub consisting of some toasted, crushed szechuan peppercorns, garlic and onion powders, touch of cinnamon, coriander... what else would help me round out a good szechuan chinese rub? I could do away with the cinnamon and just use five-spice powder, I suppose... but what else?

What you've listed plus ginger and star anise. If you add clove and fennel you'll have you're own five-spice but it will be more flavorful and you'll be able to mix it more to taste. Warm the peppercorns first--before grinding--so that when you grind you'll get their full flavor which will help you figure out ratios of the other ingredients better. If you have any dried Thai chilies a powder of those would make an excellent addition as well, or you could use a milder chile.

A homemade 'Chinese' hot mustard as a dipping sauce for serving might be a thought. And/or a sweet plum sauce or the like.

Back