Swapping Rotisserie Motors

LeeHarvey

TVWBB Pro
I picked up a NIB 9890 rotisserie off FBMP today. I’m happy with everything except the fact that I’ll either have to run an extension cord across my deck, or completely rearrange furniture, grills, and storage.

I’d like to replace the motor with either of the cordless motors from OneGrill. I did a test fit with the OneGrill corded motor that I already have, and it fits perfectly. The only thing that gives me pause is that I also tried a test fit with my onlyfire motor, and the spit bottomed out in the drive socket before the journals that are machined on the spit rod could line up with the slots in the cook box.

What I’d like to know is whether the drive socket on the OneGrill cordless motors is at least as deep as the drive socket on their corded motor. If somebody has both motors and a caliper with a depth bar on it, that would be ideal. If anybody has one of the cordless motors and a 9890, that would also be good.

Second link took me to one more thing I think I need! Damn you Joe!!🤣🤣
I just reorganized my grill equipment zone and now, I’m going to have to find room for one more rotisserie motor!
I bought one after the power went out in the middle of spinning a chicken. Now it's the only one I have. Works well, and I keep a couple of d cells with my grilling stuff just in case.

Do you have that one? I need to confirm that the spit rod goes into the socket at least 1-1/4" (32 mm).
You can always try it and if it does not then either return it or grind / cut some of the rod off. You can even add washers to push the motor out. Just thinking out loud.

Yeah, i was contemplating the washer idea. I already replaced the fasteners with 1” stainless socket head cap screws and wing nuts, so I have the screw length if I go that route.

I marked the spit rod full inserted into the three motors that I have - the onlyfire socket is 13/16” deep, the OneGrill is just a shade under 1-1/4”, and the motor that came with the rotisserie is effectively maybe 1/16” deeper than the OneGrill - the socket isn’t that deep, but the part that actually mounts to the bracket is a heat shield, and that stands close to half an inch off the body of the motor housing.

So really, if anybody has either of the cordless OneGrill motors and is willing to mark their spit rod with a Sharpie and then measure from the mark to the end of the rod, I’ll have my answer.

Well, I also sent an email to OneGrill customer service. Their response is highly encouraging:
the drive socket on the cordless motors 4pm03 and 4pm04 are deeper than the 4PM05 motor.
The cordless motors will take all of the square on the spit rod and the 4pm05 motor bottoms out with 3/8" of square drive still exposed.
So it sounds like I’m golden.

Thanks to everybody who pitched in an answer. And @Timothy F. Lewis I’m sorry about your garage.

I finally got the battery-powered motor. Just to confirm what the rep from OneGrill said, here’s a picture of the spit marked at full socket depth in the cordless motor, then transferred over to the corded one. Like he said, there’s about 3/8” (maybe a little more) depth on the cordless motor. 4FE130D4-D974-49D7-80F8-3B95AA6ACD00.jpeg

Well, I also sent an email to OneGrill customer service. Their response is highly encouraging:

So it sounds like I’m golden.

Thanks to everybody who pitched in an answer. And @Timothy F. Lewis I’m sorry about your garage.
Yeah, I’m sure you are!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🍺
So far, I’m still just straining the seams of the garage, I’ll let you know when it collapses under the weight of grill related “stuff”!

Back