SV Rib Roast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

Jon, after using my rig for about 8 months now, I'm still feeling my way around sv, and every sv cook I do is usually something new. This rib roast was a first time sv cook, and it was a slam dunk, home run. I can say I'll do them all this way, from now on.

Sv is and interesting tool and not for everybody, but it certainly has a place in my kitchen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't realize you did catering, so it certainly makes more sense to have SV. Don't take what I said as negative, because I've never seen a rib roast that looks like that. I imagine you could've carved it with a plastic spork from KFC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> How long would you say on the grill? It looks like you got great marks but no grey creeping into the roast.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not long at all. maybe 2-3 minutes a side. I was kind of excited by how fast it browned myself, but I took steps to insure it would (I love it when a plan comes together
icon_wink.gif
).

The roast was blow torched before bagging, this is supposed to kick start the milliard reaction and make it easier to brown later. The roast was dried after it came out of the bag. Browning won't start until any moisture has boiled off, so starting nice and dry is important. Lastly, it was so dry that I needed to coat it with oil to get my rub to stick. I imagine the oil help brown it too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I didn't realize you did catering, so it certainly makes more sense to have SV. Don't take what I said as negative, because I've never seen a rib roast that looks like that. I imagine you could've carved it with a plastic spork from KFC.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really do catering, I didn't mean to imply that I do. We do do lots of big parties for friends and family and charge them the cost of the ingredients. It gives us a chance to try out new recipes, play with breaking down big cuts of meat, and work on new ways to cook and serve things.

SV makes a lot of sense when we do parties, so I can imagine it would be an invaluable tool for professionals. There are rules though, and there's been some issues with health depts. As you can imagine, this roast sat for almost 6 hours in 135* water, which is outside of the food police's safe zone. Before considering it, a professional has to know what kind of precedents have been set in their area.

Along these lines, I know in nyc, a lot has to do with semantics. You can't say you cook "sous vide" without getting into trouble, but its ok to say "low temperature cooking." And you can't use a sv rig to "reheat" but you can use it to "rethermalize." A technique like "reheating" is well defined by health boards and its specifies times and temps, so a new word had to be created to avoid falling under those rules. Weird but true.

Since this thread is a temporary home for my thoughts on sous vide, I'd figure I'd add this sv cook.

I like lobster, but I don't like when the tail is over cooked and tough. I also like to make bisque from the shells, so I found a technique that allows me to work it all out.

Lobsters are steamed for 5 min, turned frequently to ensure the entire lobster is all briefly cooked. This releases the meat from the tail shell. Tails are removed from the shell and the bodies and claws are cooked for another five minutes.

I cooked the tails in lobster butter from previous batch of stock. I used a small crock pot connected to my auber controller and cooked the tails at 140* for 40 min. The tails were chilled for lobster cocktail.

The resulting tails are perfectly cooked, and aren't at all tough.

sorry, I meant to post some pictures before I hit "post now"

two tails at 60*c (140*F)
IMG_3863.JPG

cold cocktail lobster tails with yuzu mayo
IMG_3868.JPG

shells were cooked once with a couple of sticks of butter, and the butter collected. The second time they were cooked in liquid with aromatics, to make a stock.
IMG_3632.JPG

Claw, leg and body meat were reserved for the finished bisque, which consisted of roux made with lobster butter, more aromatics including fennel bulb, canned tomato, cognac, and cream. Garnished with tarragon and red pepper and served in a sourdough roll.
IMG_3944.JPG

Back