Sustainable Low Temps?

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a smoked trout recipe I was going to give a try. It calls for smoking at 180 degrees to cook it and kill bacteria then 8-12 hours of light alder smoke at 150 ... I like mine chewy on the outside and tender inside... start checking(sampling) after 6 hours...
I have never tried to maintain this low of temp on my WSM? Anyone have a suggestion or advice?
Thanks

Probably a little late, but I have cooked real low on the WSM for 6 or 7 hours when doing jerky. I can easily hold at 160º

Sorry pressed the wrong key and it processed. To cook real slow I only use briquettes (the only time I do so). Lay down one layer of unlit and add your smoke wood. Add about 5 - 6 lit and start shutting down vents when temp hits 100º. You'll probably run with all vents closed during the entire cook. Add unlit periodically (maybe only 5 or 6). Oh, and I still do with sand in the pan.

I've done it at 175 for about 12+ hours. Did it when I smoked chipotles. I start with a very small minion method (8 or so briquettes) and the vents all closed (my smoker, fully closed, lets in just enough oxygen to allow for a very low fire without snuffing it out).

Some people have succesfully cold smoked in theirs before too, so you can certainly do low temps.

Not too late at all guys, thanks. He gets back in the next couple days so I am still waiting. Thanks for the tips, it will give me a place to start.

Back