Surprise Pork Butt cook

Jay D in Jersey

Closed Account
In a somewhat out of character move for my wife, she came home with a 8.7lb. pork butt from Wegmans yesterday afternoon after we returned from our beach house. She had some recipe for cooking it in the crock pot but we discussed cutting it in half with one half in the crock pot the other on the Oakford. We scrapped that and decided to just do it hot and fast on the Oakford. So at 0915 I put it on at 185 and plan to give it 2 hours of smoke and then crank it to 285 or so until I get 197 internal.
Hopefully bu 1800 we'll be enjoying with some slaw and whatever else.
Pictures to follow. Oh, prepped with yellow mustard and a combo of Heath Riles Apple and Traeger Perfect Pork rubs.
Father's Day continues!!

Last edited:
Sounds great, you may want to look for sightly higher internal temps. Last 2 I've done I went for 205 internal and they were both light years better (even though the ones done to 195ish) were very good, that made the texture more suitable for slicing, rather than that fall apart, melt in your mouth texture if you shoot more for 205. Both are VERY good, I've just preferred (and gotten far more compliments on) the higher temp internal for finish temps

Sounds great, you may want to look for sightly higher internal temps. Last 2 I've done I went for 205 internal and they were both light years better (even though the ones done to 195ish) were very good, that made the texture more suitable for slicing, rather than that fall apart, melt in your mouth texture if you shoot more for 205. Both are VERY good, I've just preferred (and gotten far more compliments on) the higher temp internal for finish temps
I'll look at that. Thank you, Sir.
Right now the Oakford and Inkbird Wi-fi apps are flawless albeit about 20 degrees difference on the IT and 5 degrees on the grill temp.

Attachments

• PXL_20240618_145623202.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240618_145623202.MP.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 9
Looks good. I like to put it in a foil pan and cover after the stall to speed up the process. I pull it off the grill when it's at about 203F
I think I'll use the foil pan as you suggested next time. Cleanup will certainly be easier. It turned out great. I pulled it off to wrap in butcher paper this time at about 168. Then wrapped I cranked it up to 285 and took it off at 203 and let it sit wrapped for 45 minutes or so.
Best one I've done so far and I'm starting to dial in this pellet grill.
The grill temp is accurate. The food temp runs high compared to the Inkbird but the Thermapen resolves all that.

I think I'll use the foil pan as you suggested next time. Cleanup will certainly be easier. It turned out great. I pulled it off to wrap in butcher paper this time at about 168. Then wrapped I cranked it up to 285 and took it off at 203 and let it sit wrapped for 45 minutes or so.
Best one I've done so far and I'm starting to dial in this pellet grill.
The grill temp is accurate. The food temp runs high compared to the Inkbird but the Thermapen resolves all that.
What was the total time for this cook? I've been doing a hybrid low then hot cook to speed things up and am about to buy a couple bone in butts today. Thanks!

What was the total time for this cook? I've been doing a hybrid low then hot cook to speed things up and am about to buy a couple bone in butts today. Thanks!
So it was an 8.7lb. butt. I put on at 0930 hours at 175 until 1130... throwing some smoke at the lower temp. At 1130 I turned it to 280 until it reached 168 or so internal temperature.
Wrapped it then and put it back on at 285 and it hit 203 at about 4:30PM at which point I brought it in to rest for 45 minutes or so. So 0930-1630
low to start and then 285 the remainder.

Back