Superbowl Teriyaki Wings

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

I have been experimenting with Teriyaki Sauce for the past few weeks. Last week I got to a point where I was fairly happy with the sauce and the process. I made a batch of thighs that the family really enjoyed so I decided to try some Teriyaki wings for Superbowl Sunday. I decided to cook the wings on the Weber instead of deep frying them. I basted the wings as they cooked with the marinade. This added great flavor and color. I wound up pulling the wings a little early and finishing them in a 350 oven (the game was coming on and I wanted to make sure the marinade had time to cook and set since the chicken had been soaking in it). I used the traditional Buffalo Wing technique to sauce them (tossing in a large metal bowl) rather than saucing them on the grill. The family went wild for them!

Step by step instructions with pictures appear below:

Make a batch of Teriyaki Marinade/Sauce (recipe linked here)

Cut your wings into individual pieces (I save the tips in the freezer for stock) and brine overnight in the fridge (I use 3/4 cup kosher salt, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, 3-4 bay leaves, 2 Tbs pepper corn dissolved in about a gallon of water)

Drain the wings and rinse thoroughly with cool water. Marinade the wings in 1/2 batch of the marinade (reserve the other half to thicken for sauce) for at least 4 hours (overnight is better) in the fridge. Set up the grill for indirect cooking and damp the fire to medium. Grill the wing pieces over direct heat turning frequently to avoid burning (do them in small batches moving them to the indirect side after they take some grill marks and color).

Pile the wings into a large pile on the indirect side and grill covered (you can ramp the temp up for this stage). Every 15 minutes knock the pile down and rebuild making sure to move the wings from top to bottom so they get even heat. Baste with marinade after each rebuild of the pile.

Stop basting with marinade for the last 15-20 minutes (or finish in a 350 degree oven). Pull the wings and sauce in a large metal bowl (using the sauce made from thickened marinade).

Plate and Serve!

Variations: You can add crushed red pepper flake to give it some zing. You can sauce the bird on the grill rather than using the Buffalo Wings method (I sauced on the grill for the chicken thighs - tone the fire down and set the sauce on the direct side - turning frequently). You can substitute pineapple juice or pomegranate juice for the OJ in the marinade recipe. Other ideas?

I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!

Regards,

John

Back