Sunday ribs for Monday lunch

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Having a little lunch thing at work where everyone has to bring something. I was thinking about bringing in some smoked ribs. Looking for a very simple way to smoke em on Sunday, and bring them in for lunch on Monday with out a whole lot of prep or presentation. Also need advise on a ready made sauce.
I know this sounds familiar.

Pick a favorite rub or make your own,

Sea Salt (or kosher)
Turbinado Sugar
Paprika (for color)
Cayenne pepper (for heat)
Ground cumin (long burn heat)

I mix 1:1 salt to sugar, 1:0.5 salt to paprika, 1:0.125 salt to cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin.

Saturday
Use spare ribs, don't put a trim on them just use them as they are.
Remove the membrane from the rib side of the ribs, cover all over with the rub, and refrigerate overnight.

Sunday
Get your WSM going and assembled, use rib racks to get more ribs in or roll the ribs and pin with a bamboo skewer, then stand them as close as you can without them touching.
Cook for 2 - 2 1/2 hours 250° at the top grate, swap ribs from the top to the bottom, and bottom to the top. Cook another 2 hours. Start spritzing with apple juice every 15 - 20 minutes for the next hour.

Remove from the WSM, remove the skewers if you used them, allow to cool down to 70° ish, and then chill to below 40°, refrigerate over night.

Monday
Get up early enough to do the following: -
Wrap the ribs in foil, heat in your oven, (at 275°) to over 165°, (for 1 - 1/2 hours), Put into a pre-warmed cooler, on top of towels, and covered with towels, take them to work for 8 AM, along with a knife and plenty of napkins.
icon_wink.gif
Cut and serve them as an appetizer 2 - 3 ribs per person, (they should hold well in the foil, in the towels, in the cooler for 4 - 4 1/2 hours comfortably).

I like the smokeyness of Cattlemans sauce, buy a gallon from Sams club for about $9.00, they also do Original too so you can have a choice if you want in your sauces.

Thanks Chris,
!'m not looking to serve apettizers. Would like to serve em just like I made em. This is not a big group, maybe 10 plates.

No problem, just adjust the numbers to suit, a really reasonable serving is 1/2 a rack of spares, so do 5 full racks, if you buy them at Sams or Costco you may need to get two cryopacs (3 racks in each).

This will also give yo enough extras just in case you get an extra turn up, or need something to eat while waiting for the rest of the sides.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmfast:
Having a little lunch thing at work where everyone has to bring something. I was thinking about bringing in some smoked ribs. Looking for a very simple way to smoke em on Sunday, and bring them in for lunch on Monday with out a whole lot of prep or presentation. Also need advise on a ready made sauce.
I know this sounds familiar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know what kind of facilities you have, but reheated ribs are still very good! You could:

1. Gently microwave untill warm.
2. Vac pack then heat in near boiling water.
3. Wrap in foil and heat in an oven.
4. Use a crock pot.

Or maybe even a combination of some of the above!

What ever you do, I've got ten bucks that says there won't be any left!
icon_wink.gif

JimT

JimT,
Thanks for your input. Next day ribs warmed in the oven wrapped in foil always turn out great for me. Some times seem a little better. I have never nuked em, and never will. Got to keep it old school, no technology. So far I am thinking I will heat them up in foil in the morning. seal them in a cooler. and hope for the best.

Do you have a grill handy? I like to reheat ribs over direct heat on a low to medium grill. You can glaze at that time if you like. Alternatively, I reheat ribs by broiling them on a rack over a sheet pan with the oven shelf about halfway up in the oven. I like what the dry heat does for the texture of the outside of the ribs. If your ribs are on the dry side, though, I'd foil them with a light sprinkling of apple juice.

Rita

Thanks Rita Y,
No I dont have a handy grill. I dont think I have too many on-site heating options. I'll figure something out.

Back