Sunday night's all-nighter

Joe Preiser

TVWBB Super Fan
Last week I picked up a couple more shoulders with plans of a Friday overnighter. Well, the weather was horrible most of the weekend. I thought I would have to freeze them raw.

Anyway, the weather seemed like it would be OK Sunday night with a possible shower (that never materialized) so I filled the ring with Royal Oak briquettes (first time trying them all night). I started 20 briquettes in the chimney and went in to rub the butts. I used Worcestershire with Texas BBQ rub #1 (shoulda tried mustard on one for comparison).

Once the WSM was ready, everything went on and I set up the Guru for around 235F just before 9PM. It took a while for the pit to come up to temp - I think because I used water in the pan instead of my normal foil clumps under foil - but things were stable and holding constant when I hit the sack.

This morning I got up a little late and the temp was just starting to drop. I looked inside and it seemed like most of the charcoal was spent. I removed the middle section and shook the ash off the coals before adding a handful of new ones. In a little while things were back where they needed to be.

By noon, the Guru was telling me the butts were at 205F and ready to come off. They got wrapped in HD foil and stowed in a cooler. I started pulling them a couple hours later; and I wouldn't even call it pulling. Those babies just fell apart in my hands.

Nice smoke ring, juicy, nice bark, but a little light on the smoke (used only hickory cause I couldn't find my apple pieces due to an upcoming move). I think I'll add more wood next time.

After pulling, I mixed a little of my experimental rub, AJ, and cider vinegar into the part I stuck in a crock pot for dinner. It came out excellent; especially once topped with some mustard sauce I had in the fridge.

No smoking this coming weekend though. I am thinking I'll try to make Chicago's Ribfest though. I'll be in Chicago Saturday for a brunch and may swing by afterwards to see what's going on.

BTW, I noticed that Royal Oak makes a fluffier ash than I'm used to with Kingsford. The briquettes also look a little less dense. Not sure if that's why I had fewer coals left in the morning or if it was because I just didn't fill the ring enough.

Sounds like you had some great eats. Did you make a paste in a bowl with the W-sauce and the rub and then put it on, or just splash it on the pork and then sprinkle the rub on. I like the paste method. I do mustard also, don't really prefer one to the other.
Have fun at the ribfest. Love to go.

Back