Sunday Brisket

Kendall Cook

TVWBB Super Fan
Still trying to get the hang of brisket in the WSM, spent the last 40 years smoking briskets on an offset stick burner. This one I cooked low and slow for 15 hours, 5 then turned over, 5 more then foiled for five. Tender but a bit dry for my taste. Need more practice.
IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

That was tater salad and yes I used water this time. I guess the plus side was that I didn't have to add charcoal or water for a 15 hour cook. I had hoped the water would take care of the moisture but it was still to dry for me. Never had that problem in an offset without water. Like I said, need more practice.

I did a 13lb brisket for fathers day for 15 hours fat side up without flipping, or even opening the WSM. It was tender and super moist. I've never foiled a brisket, I'm wondering if that was what made yours dry out? I know the HH guys foil, but I think it's required for the HH to work in the time it does.

Looks good to me!!

Something about a stick burner and brisket that just goes hand in hand.........

Looks good. A little crumbly so it was probably on just a bit to long but I would eat it. The water in the pan doesn't add moisture to the brisket it is just a heat sink to help keep more constant temps.

Back