Summit will not turn down heat

TMcEntee

My son was gifted a used natural gas Summit. He converted it to LP (new regulator and orifices). It lights easily and with the six burners set to high the thermometer on the lid reaches 525 within 10-12 mins. The problem is when you turn the burners to low the flame does not appear to change and the temp remains high. Did we miss something during the conversion or is there another reason?

Thanks,

Tom

Welcome to the forum.

This is a classic case of wrong type of valves to be doing a simple orifice swap. You need a new LP manifold or at least new NG valves.

My son was gifted a used natural gas Summit. He converted it to LP (new regulator and orifices). It lights easily and with the six burners set to high the thermometer on the lid reaches 525 within 10-12 mins. The problem is when you turn the burners to low the flame does not appear to change and the temp remains high. Did we miss something during the conversion or is there another reason?

Thanks,

Tom
Yes you missed that you cannot successfully convert most Weber grills with orifices alone. People foisting that lie should be shot. Don't mean this to sound harsh to you. Sadly it's just the state Weber has created. Because they have no set spec for valves other than that they fit the manifold you have no idea what you're getting. Sometimes they put in valves that will work with either fuel other times not. Most times on a Summit you can do it but NOT always. Most times on a Genesis you cannot

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I suggested to him that he just use some of the burners to cook at a lower heat. Anyone see any issues with that?

It will always bug me that Weber will not support conversion of their grills. If you spend $1k-2K on a grill they should sell and support conversion. Hell, Char-broil does!

I think it is mostly a liability issue. If they were sending it a licensed plumber to do the conversion, it probably wouldn't be an issue, but I am sure a couple morons burned down their homes after attemping a DIY conversion and tried to blame Weber.

It will always bug me that Weber will not support conversion of their grills. If you spend $1k-2K on a grill they should sell and support conversion. Hell, Char-broil does!
I'm sure Weber would tell you, if you want to buy a Char-Broil, then buy a Char-Broil.

The liability issue notwithstanding, look at it this way: Weber makes the most money selling new grills. A conversion kit would not apply to a new grill, only to an used grill. Weber would potentially lose a new grill sale for every conversion kit sold.

The liability issue doesn't seem to be a problem for Char-Broil or other grill manufacturers so it couldn't be that big of a concern. I tend to think the CSR headache with trying to walk somebody through converting a grill is not worth the profit made from selling it, as well as losing a potential new grill sale.

Back