Summit S-670 NG Grill

Andy Becker

Three months ago I replaced an old grill that was hooked up to an underground propane tank with this Summit grill. I bought the NG model because we have just gotten a gas line on our street, and I assumed (incorrectly) that I could convert the BBQ to propane in the short term, then hook it up to the gas line later on when I hooked up some of our other appliances, generator and pool (so a big job). Now I have two problems - (1) I can't hook the NG grill up to propane obviously, and (2) our plumbers just came today (we didn't have them here for 3 months due to COVID) and they're telling me the hookup to the gas line is a major expense.

So now I'm stuck. The way I see it I have 2 options, neither of which is great. First, I can sell the NG grill and buy an LP - it has been covered the last 3 months, and literally never used, so I'm hoping I can get very close to the price I paid. Or second, I can convert it to propane, which the Weber site says voids the warranty and they don't really recommend that, but I'm wondering if that is just Weber being very cautious about their own liability & really it would be okay?

I feel like a bit of a dope over this, I've had this beautiful brand new grill for 3 months that I haven't been able to use. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Andy

You would need an entire manifold assembly. I am unsure how the infrared burner is plumbed either. If it's plumbed in a way that the orifice for it is part of the manifold assembly you're good. If not you may need an entire IR burner assembly as well. As for the side burner I think you can get by with only an orifice. Or just bite the bullet and plum the NG. IMO it's far more desirable than LP anyway. It's much cheaper in the long run. As for selling the grill most likely if you get half what you paid you'll be lucky. Summits don't exactly have a stellar reputation since they end up being rust buckets in short order. Sorry to be blunt but it's sadly the truth

Even in an unused condition you are very unlikely to sell it for close to the price a new one costs. Majority of people are more comfortable buying from a store. Those buying used or second-hand are looking for a deal and not wanting to pay full price.

If the cost to hook up the nat gas line to your grill is $4-500 then I'd say that's worth it. No trips to the refill center for propane and you will be losing at least that much selling the grill to someone else. You might want to get a couple different quotes for the service. Maybe the plumbers you had out were just on the high end.

As for the warranty being voided from switching from NG to LP, if you don't tell Weber, they won't know. Of course they won't be able to warranty any of the new LP parts you swap over, but things like fire box cracks / rust should still be covered.

Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. I will work this out with the plumber. Long term I want to be hooked up to the gas line, for the reasons you guys said, so I may need to bite the bullet rather than mess with converting it myself or selling it, which I agree would be for a loss. There's a lesson in here somewhere about thinking things though before acting, but I probably won't learn it.

Again, appreciate the help. Have a great weekend.

Andy

Unless your local codes forbid it or you're totally ham fisted as a DIYer, gas piping is really pretty easy to run. Especially with many of the new products available. For example there is flexible soft copper or CSST and the proper fittings and transition pieces. For instance here is my installation of CSST in my tankless on demand water heater about 15 years ago. I have never had an issue. It's a little more expensive per ft but it's pretty straight forward and relatively easy for someone with decent DIY skills. Flexible copper is also fairly easy BUT I don't like how it bends but it does work well and is IMO maybe even more simple than CSST. As it just uses crimp on Ferrules as opposed to fitting you have to "build" with CSST. The only "issue" with copper is the transitioning from black iron to copper as you need a dielectric fitting(s). With CSST you can transition easily between copper OR black iron because CSST being stainless steel is non reactive to either material.
I get it though. Some people are really skittish doing anything with pipes of any kind. But, taking your time and reading directions along with having reasonable skills can get you through. I even had a professional installer when doing my furnace compliment me on how nice my work was. I think sometimes plumbers are a little "too full of themselves" re how they price out a job20200711_074102.jpg20200711_074035.jpg20200711_074027.jpg

Another option, if you want an LP grill, is to ask Weber if they will replace your NG with an LP model. 3 months, never used. I know it sounds like a long shot, but if Might be worth a try.

Back