Summit S-420 Side Burner Orifice

Chuck Douthart

Hi, All.

I was recently given a 2015-ish summit S-420. It's in great condition after some cleaning and treatment/paint for minor rust.

It's natural gas, so I'm converting to LP. Based on some of the threads here, I went ahead and ordered the proper LP manifold. I'm having a tougher time locating an orifice for the side burner. The Weber part number appears to be 42305, but nobody has them online. I reached out to grill-repair.com, but they haven't responded to emails or voice messages for the past week or so. Does anybody have a source for this orifice? I'd prefer pre-drilled, but I would be willing to get a spud and a hand drill.

Thanks!

I would probably splurge and get a bit from Home Depot or somewhere like that. Get a quality bit. You don't want to risk trashing the orifice.

Let us know where you find the orifice, and what part # it is for future reference. A lot of places don't do retail. You will also need an orifice for the rotisserie burner. How much and where did you order the manifold from? Thanks

I have no clue what those numbers mean BTW. Glad you're showing these photos. For everyone who wonders about poor performance and poor flame propagation on your Genesis (mostly sidewinders but actually all the grills) and start messing with adjustments and what not. Study these photos. Look at how much corrosion can and does build up on these things. So next time you have issues and want to start "adjusting" everything. Think KISS. Those adjustments don't magically move (readjust themselves). Think about what else is changed. Answer: Dirt and corrosion. Pay attention to every last but right down to these. You might be amazed

After getting price of $19 for one orifce from an ebay seller, I broke out the caliper and found these on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V5TZGCQ/?tag=tvwb-20

These are a perfect fit. Drilled out to 1.1 mm using a cheap pin vise. I now have a proper flame on the burner. Of course, I now have 9 extras if anybody else needs one.
That is great info. If there was a chart on different Weber gassers on what size, thread and where they got them, it would make this a lot easier. I believe the Geneses 2 main burners I did was 1/4" 32 thread, no side burner. I got mine from Controls Inc. But they will not sell them any more.

Joe, from what I can tell, Weber uses the same size orifices across a lot of different models and styles of their grills. There is some variance in threads and overall diameter though.

Joe, from what I can tell, Weber uses the same size orifices across a lot of different models and styles of their grills. There is some variance in threads and overall diameter though.
I am not sure about that as the ones I got for the Genesis 2 did not screw into the Spirit 2. I believe they were the same diameter but different thread.

Hmmm, I have not found any real differences on the older genesis grills. I just messed around with a Genesis II and the orifice looked just like the older Silver and 1000 ones, but the threads could have been different. I assumed they would be interchangeable.

They're not all the same. It depends on the valve(s). Some are metric threads some are SAE. It's all over the place

Happens with them too. The valves may look the same but they're not always the same. Some are made over seas and are metric, some made here are SAE. I really wish the USA would get off it's duff and just switch to metric.

I agree Larry. I would have been OK with it 10 or 15 years ago. And I don't mind a transition period, but we have been on this half and half system for about 30 years now. I say, set a date, maybe ten years out where virtually everything is to be changed over. Then again, the older I get, the less I am pro switching.

It's quite ridiculous that the UK could go metric and we can't. While we are at it lets get rid of standard time and just go savings all year also.

Hell with the 10 year out thing that's why we've been in limbo since the 70s on this. It should be a mandate. No more SAE used period! Metric. period

Back