Summit Platinum SS 6 Burner

TomA-Norway

TVWBB Member
Can this be a good buy? I've read on this forum that it's a money pit...But, according to the seller it's been used 20 times and everything is working.
It's pricey, around 1000 US Dollar.
I've not seen it in person, yet. No information if the rotisserie is still there.
The firebox looks alright in the photos, any suggestions?

NOTE! It's for sale in Norway!

Regards Tom

Attachments

• Summit1.jpg
    Summit1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Summit2.jpg
    Summit2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Summit3.jpg
    Summit3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Summit5.jpg
    Summit5.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Summit6.jpg
    Summit6.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Summit7.jpg
    Summit7.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Summit8.jpg
    Summit8.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Summit9.jpg
    Summit9.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Depends on how much scrap stainless steel sells for there :D Seriously I would think this thing could be a real red herring especially in Norway where I am sure they're even more scarce and parts even harder and more $$$$ to come by. Issue is the fire box. They're rust buckets. If you can make something out of the cabinet could be a cool project. But I could see parts like flavorizers alone running you into $1000 or more

Depends on how much scrap stainless steel sells for there :D Seriously I would think this thing could be a real red herring especially in Norway where I am sure they're even more scarce and parts even harder and more $$$$ to come by. Issue is the fire box. They're rust buckets. If you can make something out of the cabinet could be a cool project. But I could see parts like flavorizers alone running you into $1000 or more
Thanks for the reply. The flavourizer bars seems to be alright if you look at the photos. I will try to have a look at it in the weekend.
If what the seller is saying is correct it's been used ca 20 times and everything is working.

That one does look like it has had an easy life. Maybe you will find that it really is in nice shape. If so, I do think it would be an excellent cooker with plenty of space if you need that. The 304 stainless frame and cabinetry make this version of the 2nd generation Summits stand out as one worth considering, as long as you are prepared for the maintenance and parts costs.

p.s. My last name, Tofte, I am told is not uncommon in Norway (my ancestry), but here in the US it is very rare.

I have a Summit Platinum like the one you're looking at. Same year, different configuration (four burner).

I agree that the cook box has a real rust issue and the flavourizer bars can be expensive. I got lucky and found a new set of bars on Facebook marketplace for 40 bucks.

I plan on making modifications to the cook box when the rust becomes a dangerous issue.

All that being said, this grill cooks great and a solid build. I love it.

That one does look like it has had an easy life. Maybe you will find that it really is in nice shape. If so, I do think it would be an excellent cooker with plenty of space if you need that. The 304 stainless frame and cabinetry make this version of the 2nd generation Summits stand out as one worth considering, as long as you are prepared for the maintenance and parts costs.

p.s. My last name, Tofte, I am told is not uncommon in Norway (my ancestry), but here in the US it is very rare.
Hi Jon,
If the price is right, and it looks as good in person as on the photos I will consider it. If what the seller is stating (used 20 times) is true, how many years is left in it before deterioration is starting?
There's a lot of Norwegians named Tofte, do you know which part of the country your ancestors came, and when?

Hi Jon,
If the price is right, and it looks as good in person as on the photos I will consider it. If what the seller is stating (used 20 times) is true, how many years is left in it before deterioration is starting?
There's a lot of Norwegians named Tofte, do you know which part of the country your ancestors came, and when?
Hi Tom,

I know your question was directed to another member here in the forum but for what it's worth, I've had my summit platinum for 13 years and although rust has shown up, I'm still using it as is.

I do keep the grill well maintained and I've always used a genuine Weber cover with air vents that is designed for this model.

You might want to ask the seller if they registered the grill. There is a slight possibility that a new cook box and lid would be available for the grill under warranty. It has a 25-year warranty for the cook box and the lid.

I hope this helps.

You might want to ask the seller if they registered the grill. There is a slight possibility that a new cook box and lid would be available for the grill under warranty. It has a 25-year warranty for the cook box and the lid.
This unfortunately is what soured me on Weber and the Summit specifically. When my cook box rusted through, Weber was contacted and "good news" your fire box is under warranty. Then "too bad so sad" we don't have the parts anymore to cover your "in warranty" grill. IMO, unforgivable. Yes the Summit is a great cooking machine. Sadly Weber does not stand behind their products as fully as the brochures lead you to believe

Weber was contacted and "good news" your fire box is under warranty. Then "too bad so sad" we don't have the parts anymore to cover your "in warranty" grill.
Did they tell you during the same interaction that they don’t have the parts anymore?
Or did they place an order, and you waited for weeks, only to eventually be told “we don’t have the parts anymore”? That would be far more painful to be waiting in vain.

Did they tell you during the same interaction that they don’t have the parts anymore?
Or did they place an order, and you waited for weeks, only to eventually be told “we don’t have the parts anymore”? That would be far more painful to be waiting in vain.
They said it was warranty and they were placing an order. A few days later they called and said no parts available to repair it. Then had the stones to give me a coupon for a new "comparable" Genesis "discount" that had I taken them up on it would have forced me to pay over what I could have simply bought one for on the street. I would have been far more satisfied if they actually gave me something that amounted to something.

Back