Summit 470 - Mysterious Case of the Rusted-Out Door Frame Support Brackets

Charlie Byrne

Hello, Bought my 470 in March 2017. Very happy with it, keep it outdoors here in South Florida but religiously covered 100% of the time, with stock Weber cover.

Now, I did start to notice a little "decay" on the bottom of the doors in recent months. But then I recently opened them, and the door fell right off! The Door Support Bracket on the frame - which holds the Adjustable Door Hinge Pins - fell off completely, rusted to bits. And the door with it. The one on the other side is also ready fall off.

I have included photos showing the Frame, the Doors and the bracket that fell off. I also show photos that illustrate, hopefully, that I ALWAYS keep this unit covered with an official Weber Cover and try to take very good care of this unit. Maybe not perfect, maybe not spotless, but decent care I'd say.

I've sent this story to Weber to see what they'll say. But, thought meanwhile I'd see if others have seen this. I did search the forum first and could not find anything quite like this). Thanks in advance! I appreciate any helpful feedback.
Photos:
Left Frame Door Support Bracket (and door)
Right Frame Door Support Bracket (and door)
Then, a few full shot of doors and upper unit showing good condition overall.

Attachments

• IMG_5487.jpeg
    IMG_5487.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5488.jpeg
    IMG_5488.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5490.jpeg
    IMG_5490.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5492.jpeg
    IMG_5492.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 24
Hi Charlie, and welcome!

Looking at the pictures, and seeing that you may be located in a coastal area, I suspect that moisture has collected in the bottom trough of the doors and the only place for it to drain is at the corners. On Aug. 26, in your area, I see that the humidity was 62% and the dew point wass 80*F, and if this is typical and you live near the coast you may also have the salt air to contend with. That is rust in the trough of the doors, so it could be that the doors are made of a lesser grade of stainless steel where your location may require a marine grade due to your environmental conditions.

Covering the grill may ultimately cause more harm than good because it tends to trap moisture under the cover and block air circulation. Hopefully, Weber will be able to help you out on this, but I think your corrosion problem is related to environmental conditions. Good luck with this, Charlie!

Yah, on something like the Summit, those parts to include the cabinet sides and floor should all be Stainless Steel.

3 years??? That is terrible. I am sure Weber will help you out.

Thanks much Ed. Yes, it's a steam-bath down here on the South Florida East Coast, pretty much 24x7 from April through November... and not much better in "winter". I am 1 mile from the ocean, so not sure if salt air is an additional factor - but could be. I wonder if lifting it a few inches off the ground on some sort of 4 blocks below the 4 wheels might help - so that water from frequent rain storms doesn't collect underneath so much and then just basically steam upwards. Anyway... thanks for your kind reply. - Charlie.

I suspect that moisture has collected in the bottom trough of the doors and the only place for it to drain is at the corners. On Aug. 26, in your area, I see that the humidity was 62% and the dew point was 80*F, and if this is typical and you live near the coast you may also have the salt air to contend with. Covering the grill may ultimately cause more harm than good.

Yah, on something like the Summit, those parts should all be Stainless Steel. 3 years??? That is terrible. I am sure Weber will help you out.

Yes, and actually it is closer to 2.5 years! That's what I'd expect from some $99 piece of junk from HD, but not a Weber Summit! We'll see what happens. Thanks.

Thanks much Ed. Yes, it's a steam-bath down here on the South Florida East Coast, pretty much 24x7 from April through November... and not much better in "winter". I am 1 mile from the ocean, so not sure if salt air is an additional factor - but could be. I wonder if lifting it a few inches off the ground on some sort of 4 blocks below the 4 wheels might help - so that water from frequent rain storms doesn't collect underneath so much and then just basically steam upwards. Anyway... thanks for your kind reply. - Charlie.
Does your cover extend all the way to the ground? It may help if it were 6 or 8 inches above the ground. Does it have a vent at the top? Some of the Weber covers used to have a screen-like strip along the length, and some of the aftermarket covers are vented at the top. Make sure your grill has cooled down completely before covering to minimze condensation. If convenient, a small fan to keep the air circulating under the cover might help, but despite all that you can do, you are still at the mercy of your environment. Let's hope Weber can make this better!

EDIT: I think putting it up on blocks sounds like a good idea, especially if the grill isn't under an awning or similar cover. It may keep the rain from splashing on the lower part of the grill.

Last edited:

Back