Suggestions on a bad smoke

Eric Larson

I got my Auber ATC last weekend and finally got to use it yesterday. I have an 18.5" smoker and got the big fan (just in case).

I filled the ring with unlit charcoal and put about half a chimney of lit coals on top (too much ?). I foil lined the water pan and filled it with water (should I have left it dry?). I set the Auber to 225. The top vents were closed. I ran the probe through the bottom of the door and up to the top rack.

I was cooking two pork butts and a chicken.

It was holding temperature really well -- between 223 and 228 whenever I checked on it. After a few hours I took the chicken off (it was cooked great). The temperature on the smoker dropped to 140 or so. After that, it struggled to get up to the desired temperature again, it was lingering just below 210. I did some reading and decided to open the top vent all the way and I cranked the heat up to 250. The next time I checked it it was around 247. I decided to drop it back down to 225 for the rest of the night. I added some beans to the smoker and I added more charcoals and wood at this point. This was about 11 pm.

Got up this morning at 7 am to a 72 degree smoker and 101 degree meat. The beans had taken quite a bit of smoke so I'm guessing it held it's heat pretty well for several hours.

Last night was warm but windy. I'm guessing it was probably 50 last night but it was definitely windy.

I've always had a problem holding a consistent temperature of my smoker. That's why I got an ATC. I think part of my problem was my old probe thermometer, shoved through a cork, and inserted into a top vent wasn't very accurate. When my ATC said 225, my probe said 190.

So what should I do next time to get better results? Pick a night with less wind? I won't let Mother Nature decide when I get BBQ. Should I get a blanket for my smoker to protect it from the wind? Should I have added even more coal before going to bed (I added about half or 2/3 of a chimney of unlit coal).

The butts are wrapped in foil now and are in the oven at 275. As long as I get them up to 200, I shouldn't be too worried that they were sitting at 100 when I found them, should I?

Thanks,
Eric

Were there any coals left in the ring?

Sometimes when I put my fan on high (10cfm) it creates a hole in the charcoal. I usually choke it down.

Water? Water for the most part will burn more fuel(got to heat up that water). I sent an email to BBQ Guru about water and an ATC, while it is not against the rules it does burn more fuel.

Wind is a killer (ambient temperature not as much). For long cooks, you need to block the wind the best you can. Wind is the enemy.

Other than a few bits and pieces, all the coals are gone. The water pan is empty too -- standard water pan filled initially and not refilled. Perhaps next time, I'll leave the water pan empty.

I think the wind got to it. I wish I would've saved the box my washing machine came in, that would've blocked the wind nicely, though I'd worry that it would blow in a big gust and knock over the smoker.

It probably wasn't good that I opened the top vents all the way with all that wind. That was dumb.

Maybe I'll make an insulating blanket out of some heat shield insulation or fiber tech padding. It can get cold here in the winters and that would help plus it would conserve charcoal use year round. Though I could probably just make a wind shield and use a little more charcoal. That'd probably be cheaper.

Thanks

Do not use water. There is utterly no need if using an ATC. It screws with the process and, yes, you'll go through more fuel.

Use a handful of lit coals at the outset at most. Using a lot of lit at the beginning also means you will go through more fuel. You want just a few - then allow the ATC to get the unlit going, slowly and as necessary, to get your cooker to your desired temp.

No need to insulate in anything but the winter - and even that is moot. No real need for a windscreen if using an ATC (correct: do not open your lid vent all the way, and no other vents should be opened at all, save for the one with the damper) as an ATC dramatically lessens the affect of wind. Won't hurt though.

When I was lighting my chimney I realized I poured to much charcoal in. Not sure why I didn't put some back.

I'll cut out the water and just foil the pan.

What do you recommend for the top vent? Initially I had it closed but couldn't get above 210. I thought this was strange. Maybe a quarter?

I'll hold off on the wind shield too for now. I'm ordering a playset for my daughter, it'll probably come in some large cardboard boxes, maybe I'll hold on to those initially and pull them out as a simple shield if I run into trouble.

If only there were one correct way to smoke. That'd make it so much easier
icon_smile.gif

Finished the butts in the oven. Mmm... my lunch rocked!

Eric. I have read this twice just to make sure I am understanding.

Are you saying you closed the top vent of your WSM COMPLETELY at the start and for most of the cook? I gotta think that's not gonna work......

Open it half way, at least, and try again.

IMO, don't bother with wind breaks etc etc right now. A WSM with a ATC will hold low and low temps for a LONG LONG LONG time even in breezy conditions.

Take out the water, open the top vent, start with a half chimney of lit coals, let the ATC do it's thing and give it another shot.

I'm with Gerd...the only time I close the top vent is to choke out the smoker when I am done. Otherwise it is open 100%

What type of charcoal did you use? I know that lump burns faster than blue K does. I have used nothing but blue K and can easily get 14-18 hours even in cold weather. Make sure all bottom vents are closed (tape off the two open holes on the vent with the fan) start with a full ring, pull about 1/2 ring out and start in the chimney, return then and close her up. I leave the top vents wide open. The Auber will eventually get the temps up and stable for you.

I had the top vents closed initially and it was holding at 225 well. After I removed the lid to take out some chicken the temperature dropped to 150 and climbed back up to 208 but wouldn't go up further. That's when I opened the top vents which let it get up to the desired temp.

I wouldn't say it was breezy. We probably had solid 30 mph winds. I know the wind is killer, but I really wanted to smoke. I had to finish in the oven, which doesn't bother me, just hoping that next time I can get it to be more consistent.

Next time I'll hold off in such windy conditions. I'll probably use a few less lit coals, double foil the water pan and keep it dry, and put the top vents half open or so.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I missed the part about the vent being closed. Never do this.

No need to wait till the wind is less.

When I used to use a Guru I kept lid vent at 30% open. You can go more but there is no need. What there is a need for is a decent draft.

Use a LOT less lit. 6-8 is plenty.

As said above, do not let the wind stop you. Just open the top vent, and never ever ever ever close it until you are done cooking.

Back