Suggestions for sirloin tip cook tomorrow

S Whipple

TVWBB Member
Hello All, I'll be cooking a sirloin tip tomorrow--any suggestions for smoke wood, mop (homemade), and rub to use? All are welcomed. Thanks.

S Whipple

The big deal with these roasts are not to cook them to a too-high internal. I like 130 tops.

As far as wood, rub and mop go I change them frequently. I like pecan here but also like fruit woods. I guess it depends on the rub.) Often I use a very herb-y/peppercorn/garlic rub but have often used a ground chile-based rub. I tend to highlight beef with tiny pinches of clove or ginger or mace or allspice or cinnamon or mixes of any or all of those. For a mop I like reduced homemade beef stock brightened with celery and a little lemon ( or a shred or two of ornge peel) and made more full with onion and shallot (and sometimes roasted garlic), parsley, peppercorns, etc., finished with a little whole butter. I also like this sort of mop with flat beer stirred in, or a little whiskey, or a little dry sherry, or a hot chile or two, reconstituted in the stock and allowed to float in there.

Play with it and have fun. Sirloin tip roasts are a favorite.

Back