Suggestions for Baby Backs & Pork Butt

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Is it possible to cook baby backs on the WSM as my pork butt is finishing up? I will be cooking the pork butt @ 225 degrees for 14-16 hrs. I realize that ribs should cook at a higher temp, and in the past I've used the 3-2-1 method. Since I don't want to spike my temps on the pork butt, could I throw the ribs on and cook them longer than 6 hrs at a lower temp?

Also, I'm kinda hestitant to add the ribs since I will probably be pulling the lid off to foil, sauce, etc. Should I cook them on the top grate?

Many folks like to use 225 degrees as their go to temperature. Stogie uses it religiously. The butts are very forgiving and wont dry ot or be afftected much by you opening the lid since they have such a high fat content.

I would put the ribs on the top grate and have no worries.

I cook this combination all the time I had two butts on the bottom rack this weekend and then added my Baby Backs to the top rack when I had about 5-7 hrs left on the butt. Dont worry about adding more wood either. I run my temp about 220

Rick
The Smoke Hunters

Russel,

You'll have no problems. Its also been my experience that butts are so forgiving that if you start to run the temperature up for cooking ribs at 250-270, the butts will do just fine. Dont forget that butts will stay in great shape for 4 or 5 hours after they've been pulled off the smoker (as long as they've been wrapped).

I always have some back rib ends laying around that I trim at competitions (i trim the ends so they lay flat in the bullet a little nicer). I throw these ends on during a butt cook and serve them as appetizers an hour or two before I'm ready to pull the butts.

Don't sweat the temps Russell. I ccok at an even 225 almost all of the time. If you're following the BRITU method just realize that's the way the tam that developed the recipe cooked them. It's a guideline, not a definitive means of cooking ribs.

Everyone has their own method of cooking that works for them. Many of the recipes and techniques you read about are for competition. When I'm cooking at home I throw the ribs on the smoker and take them off when they're done. No basting, not turning, nothing! Just let 'em cook.

Should work fine. If you put them on while the butts are still on, you're introducing a new heat sink of raw meat which will take up some of your heat. Therefore you may need to be prepared with some extra fuel so your pit temp doesn't drop on you when the ribs go on.

Paul

Thanks for the responses guys. My butts are going on at 11pm Friday night with an intended finish time of 4 pm and serving time of 7pm. Would like to have the ribs for lunch on Saturday, so I'll "try" to wake up by 6am so I can have the ribs on around 7am. Cooking at a steady 225 degrees. I'll have extra Kingsford on hand.

I guess the biggest question is whether I can wake up in time on Saturday morning.

Back