Suggestions for 2 full fryer chickens

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Anyone have any good recipies for fryer chickens in the WSM? Or should I cut them up into leg, wing, thigh,breast and smoke that way?

I was planing on doing two slabs of spares and two fryers how would you set up for this type of cook.

I cut them in half and cut out the back bone and fire up the kettle. It's so good.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
Roadside Chicken

For more even cooking and so they'd fit okay on the lower grate I'd remove the backs and wings tips and halve them. (Depending on size you may need to be creative in positioning them.) I'd put the spares on the top and start everything at the same time. There's a good chance the chicken would be ready around the time I'd foil the ribs. I'd pull, wrap, rest 20, pour the foil juices into my saucepot, then discard the skin and remove the meat from the bones in large chunks. This I'd toss with whatever sauce I'd made.

I've smoked whole chickens in my WSM and grilled cut up chickens on my kettle grill among other things, but after buying my EZ-Que rotisserie I'll never go back to those old ways of cooking chicken (except maybe an occasional deep fried one ;-) ).

3 whole Spatchcocked chicked cut in half all the way (halfcocked chicken) and 2 racks of spare. The spares started out crowded but I speced them out later.

Used BGE lump and a chunk-o-guava for smoke.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp
4509546180.jpg

Sorry..that pic only has 2 whole chicks...this one has 3 whole chicks done halfcocked style but with beef instead of ribs...

Aloha!

Greg Kemp
4509597535.jpg

Bryan-

Do you cook that roadside chicken direct? I usually cook chicken indirect, but most of the roadside stands I see cook it direct. I'm going to try this recipe tonight!

Thanks!

Indirect. there is another foil wrapped pan (no water) setting on a 14 inch grate hanging on bolts BELOW the lower grate with chicken. You can barely see the nuts and washers in last picture.

Here's another pic looking down you can see the 14 inch grate but no pan in this shot.

Aloha!

Greg
4509601184.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Moore:
Bryan-

Do you cook that roadside chicken direct? I usually cook chicken indirect, but most of the roadside stands I see cook it direct. I'm going to try this recipe tonight!

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick, I use the kettle and do it direct. You have to stay on your toes if you go that route.Proper lid management is the key if using the kettle. If you leave the lid off for any time at all it get's a blazing mighty fast in there. You have to be quick when mopping and turning. I think using the WSM direct would work better than the kettle with less of a chance for very crispy dark chicken.
icon_eek.gif

Thanks Bryan - I've got 3 split chicken breasts marinating now - they should hit the heat in about an hour. I'll keep a small spot on the kettle with no coals just in case! Thanks for the advice and I'll provide some feedback on the recipe!

One thing - I used minced onion instead of onion powder since that is what I had...shouldn't make a big difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Greg, is that a BGE? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. Just got it. I also have 2 Webers and 1 Brinkman

Aloha!

Back