Sugar Maple Smoke Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who hasn't tried Sugar Maple smoke wood is really missing out. I got some yesterday for my pre-Thanksgiving trial turkey breast.

I did a small breast with Keri's honey brine recipe (Thanks, Keri!). Empty pan covered with foil to catch the drippin's. 1/2 filled charcoal ring with Kingsford, and dumped 1/2 chimney of lit on top. Temps got right to 300 and held rock steady through out the cook. With the empty pan, it took a little more fiddlin' with the vents at the start, but once it was dialed in, no problem.

It got to 160 in about 3-3/4 hours. Beautiful golden skin and the aroma was to die for. Neighbors were goin' nuts. The smell of that sugar maple was better than anything I've smoked with yet. The turkey tasted great too. That honey brine is a winner.

Try sugar maple if you get the chance.

Thanks Tom! I have about a pound of Sugar Maple pellets as well as a pound of oak that Les gave me during SmokeStock (He got a boatload of several kinds from Candy Sue). Haven't tried the Sugar Maple yet, but I'm looking forward to it
icon_wink.gif

A couple of months ago I did some back ribs. I put in 1 chunk of sugarmaple along with apple, cherry and oak. I made 12 slabs for my brothers birthday party. I cut them down to 2 to 3 bones and put them on a cooking sheet. At the party I was eating ribs and was disappointed because I couldn't taste the maple. Well on one of my many return trips I picked up one that had quite a bit more fat on it than usual. I bit into it and wow it tasted like it was basted with maple syrup. It was excellent.

I might try putting some more on next time I do ribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back